Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
broach possibly from the 20's?

SDC11118.JPGbroach.JPG

Found this in my front yard, one of my first finds. I am not sure what the tiny pieces are made of but my guess would be shell. I am really surprised they are all still in tact. Any info especially a time period would be greatly appreciated.

This looks like a micro mosaic piece. It is amazing condition for being found in the ground!

I agree, it says a lot about the craftsmanship that went into making it. My driveway is sand and dirt and i found it right on the edge so I'm sure it was even run over quite a bit, as there is nothing that separates the yard from the driveway.

Upvote 0
perhaps a victorian piece...could be ceramic and glass inlay....the victorian experts will be along and they will know for sure.absolutely beautiful

Upvote 0
perhaps a victorian piece...could be ceramic and glass inlay....the victorian experts will be along and they will know for sure.absolutely beautiful

Thank you. Ceramic and glass makes a lot of sense.

Upvote 0
Any ideas on how to clean it up better, all i did was rinse in warm water to get the dirt off when i found it.

Upvote 0
I'd say leave it be for now,its complete and may have some value....soooo cool....congrats !!!1

Upvote 0
You have a Victorian 1800's micro mosaic brooch, which is made up of tiny inlaid stones and/or glass. From what I can tell from the photos, it appears to have Marcasites around the half circles close to the edge. This is a really nice brooch! It is the type of jewelry a very wealthy Victorian lady would have brought back home as a souvenir piece from The Grand Tour. Check the back to see if it is marked 'made Italia.'

:thumbsup: Nice find Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have a Victorian 1800's micro mosaic brooch, which is made up of tiny inlaid stones and/or glass. From what I can tell from the photos, it appears to have Marcasites around the half circles close to the edge. This is a really nice brooch! It is the type of jewelry a very wealthy Victorian lady would have brought back home as a souvenir piece from The Grand Tour. Check the back to see if it is marked 'made Italia.' :thumbsup: Nice find Breezie

Thanks Breezie, no markings on the back though and the pin is broken off:sad smiley: still very excited about it though!

Upvote 0
Ah, so pretty. You have a mosaic brooch. The colors aren't showing true in the pics, but the turquoise tesserae are most often found in mid-century and earlier pieces. Tile color is only one of many features in dating -- however, one of the best ways to get an accurate timeline is to show the back of the brooch.

Upvote 0
On my screen, the word "Solved" appears in the title -- however, this isn't solved yet. You need to show the back of the brooch for an accurate date.

Upvote 0
more pics, sorry should have included them originally

SDC11119.JPGSDC11120.JPG

hope this helps a little more.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting those Brandon -- the lighting also makes for a better assessment of the tile colors. I can see where the hinge/joint has broken off along with the catch -- and from the hinge construction, base metal, and ground glass colors used for making the tesserae, your lovely Mosaic Brooch looks to be 40's/50's. Nice score!

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting those Brandon -- the lighting also makes for a better assessment of the tile colors. I can see where the hinge/joint has broken off along with the catch -- and from the hinge construction, base metal, and ground glass colors used for making the tesserae, your lovely Mosaic Brooch looks to be 40's/50's. Nice score!

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back