British India 1-Pice, circa 1815-1829

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I searched a former homesite. The one coin I found was this Bengal Presidency (British India) 1-Pice coin from the reign of Emperor Shah Alam II, circa 1815-1829. (A big shout-out to Bramblefind, as he ID’d the coin for me on the What is It forum - thanks!!) I can only imagine how this coin ended up in Massachusetts. If it actually circulated here, I am guessing it was used as a half penny based on its size. While I prefer coins with portraits and dates, it was nice digging something unusual. Also dug seven buttons in various areas of the property, and a shoe buckle part. Thanks and good luck out there.
IMG_7170.jpeg
IMG_7171.jpeg
IMG_7165.jpeg

IMG_7173.jpeg
IMG_7180.jpeg

Upvote 13
Yesterday I searched a former homesite. The one coin I found was this Bengal Presidency (British India) 1-Pice coin from the reign of Emperor Shah Alam II, circa 1815-1829. (A big shout-out to Bramblefind, as he ID’d the coin for me on the What is It forum - thanks!!) I can only imagine how this coin ended up in Massachusetts. If it actually circulated here, I am guessing it was used as a half penny based on its size. While I prefer coins with portraits and dates, it was nice digging something unusual. Also dug seven buttons in various areas of the property, and a shoe buckle part. Thanks and good luck out there.
View attachment 2151559View attachment 2151555View attachment 2151556

View attachment 2151557View attachment 2151558
great saves and one amazing coin, well done

View attachment 2151559View attachment 2151555View attachment 2151556

View attachment 2151557View attachment 2151558
Nice find! Another shout out to Bramblefind

Cool find. Probably was a pendant around some traveler's neck at one time.

You get the prize for the most unusual coin of the month. So great that you were able to get a positive ID. Congrats!
Thanks! We are fortunate to have so many knowledgeable people here that are willing to help. I am not sure I would have figured this one out, and certainly not as quick as Bramblefind.

Cool find. Probably was a pendant around some traveler's neck at one time.
Thanks! I was thinking the hole was for a pendant or for safekeeping, as often seen. I don’t know if these coins circulated here or not, but I doubt they were common if they did..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back