Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We hit a spot yesterday and my buddy pulled the cuffs and buttons. I got the spoons and bullets. Any idea on the cuff links? z british...JPGz british 1.JPG

Upvote 13
Awesome cuff links. There's an endless discussion in detecting circles regarding this style of cuff link as to whether they are Royal Navy or civilian. They do have the Tudor Rose and that's about all that can be definitively said unless they have an RN touchmark. That's my opinion, anyway.

Nice civilian cufflinks. Likely made in Britain, but not military.

thanks guys!

Nice find. A linked set of colonial cufflinks is a tough dig

Very nice cuff links. I have seen these debated ad nauseum in the detecting community. Neither side presents any definitive proof. On one side you have the advocates for these being civilian. I can definitely see their argument because quite a few Tudor Rose and similar buttons are found and they can't all be Royal Navy, can they? On the other side there are at least two websites that say these are Royal Navy. Those sites include the mid-1700's uniform regulations as "proof." I have been searching the internet for three years trying to find period advertisements as, to me, that would be the proof sufficient for a definitive ID. Also, the mourning buttons attributed to George Washington lack the same kind of proof even though one of the website owners claims to have such period advertising. I'm not from Missouri but, "Show me."

Heck yeah! Nice outing y'all had. Excellent cuffs...very nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back