🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Brassy item /chains with HMR initials - What is this thing??

bottlecap4u

Jan 15, 2024
Ok, don't expect to ID this item, but tapping into your brains anyway. The brass plate is 3 inch x 3/4 inches, "HMR" stamped into it w/chains connecting to rivets. Believe the plate was hung on something w/chains suspended below holding something else, possibly leather, (those rivets are revealing). The other item is a nice brass patent plate, researched it and farm still operates in Chezy NY and a pretty cool story on founding owner/wife buit it after losing thier child. Both items believe date early 1900s, found at horse barn site (no longer there), but carriage house still stands next to it. Home was 1870s. Research on previous owner initials & possibly horse tackle or early car item were dead ends. Kinda looks home-made maybe?? All guesses welcome, can you ID the HMR item??

Attachments

• HMRAll.jpg
    HMRAll.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • HMRBack.jpg
    HMRBack.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • HMRFront.jpg
    HMRFront.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • Heart'sDelightFarm.jpg
    Heart'sDelightFarm.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
"The farm was situated in Chazy, Clinton County, NY. At the time of this printing, the farm was on nearly 12,000 acres of land with barns, twenty miles of roadways, ten concrete dams, lakes & springs, over 10,000 maple trees, a grist mill, sausage factory, countless labor saving machinery, game preserves with bison, deer, elk and partridge, as well as staples raising purebred Percheron horses. Other livestock included Short Horn Durham cattle, Dorset sheep, Yorkshire and Chester White swine, poultry, etc. The farm utilized a scientific approach to agriculture on what was a large scale at the time, using new technology and hydroelectric power to run an enterprise that employed over seven hundred workers in its heyday. William Menry Miner made his fortune from his mechanical inventions."
Don in SoCal
Source: https://www.rabelaisbooks.com/pages...-william/hearts-delight-farm-title-from-cover

Upvote 6
An interesting picture on that farm:
Don in SoCal

Upvote 6
Upvote 2
An interesting picture on that farm:
Don in SoCal
No wonder that we all find so much horse tack in the fields.

Upvote 3
No wonder that we all find so much horse tack in the fields.
Indeed, I spend summers bucking hay on my great uncles farm when I was around 13 yrs. I remember the old dry rotted harnesses still hanging in the machine shed on his farm. This photo is in the family albums of my dad's dad. He passed when when I was 7. He used to pitch underhand baseball to us and my earliest. memory of him is riding on his shoulders and slapping his bald head as I up there. My mom would tell me to stop it and my grandpa never really seemed to care I'd do that.

Attachments

• IMG_20191229_084944 (1).jpg
    IMG_20191229_084944 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Upvote 2
Post removed, please remember our rules on politics, politics only allowed in our politics forum.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back