Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi...found a few odd things in North Central PA last weekend. .....found these at an old foundation on the side of mountain where you would never think someone would want to live other than its on a semi flat area and has a major stream close by....the 1870's map shows no homestead there at that time....I did find an 1864 IH there for a time frame....possible logging camp? the brass wheel thing is 3.68" dia.....the lead thing (not positive it's pure lead) is 1.375 x 1.375 x 1.25....also has that little design carved on the bottom. ...any thoughts are appreciated as always. ...thanks

View attachment 971834

ForumRunner_20140403_163551.png

ForumRunner_20140403_163620.png

As best I can figure the brass item is the flapper to a 4" butterfly valve, plumbing type.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input nhbenz. ...I probably should have mentioned that both shalt holes intersect and go completely through the piece so not sure how water tight of a valve that would be but then again tolerances probably were pretty loose back then...also here's the other pic that didn't upload properly from my "smart" phone. ...still wondering what the lead would be used for as well....thanks again

ForumRunner_20140403_212408.png

Upvote 0
" "smart" phone" haha! You said it!
The lead thing I think has a (headless) fish or fly carved on it

Upvote 0
The lead looks like an end piece off a lead bar used for lead joints in old plumbing.
I've seen something like your other piece, but can't find it yet... I'll keep looking.

HH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back