Brass tent stake, is it military related?

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_20160421_13_06_22_Pro.jpgWP_20160421_13_05_47_Pro.jpgWP_20160421_13_03_36_Pro.jpg:pot-of-gold:WP_20160421_13_03_25_Pro.jpgWP_20160421_13_03_16_Pro.jpgWP_20160421_13_02_47_Pro.jpgI found this brass tent stake the other day and wanted to post and see if it is anything special or just a common tent stake. It was found at a bsa camp where I have found tons aluminum and steel stakes but I have never seen a brass one. Its not marked with anything. I goggled "brass tent stake" and a combination of words and could find any brass tent stakes. Any thoughts? I apologize for bad pics, posting from my phone.

Last edited:
I am retired Army and have seen my fair share of tent stakes. LOL The only times I ever saw Brass Stakes was around fuel and comms areas for grounding purposes. Now I have never seen one like that, seen many others but that does not mean anything. I have seen short ones though, but most have been about 90 CM long.

What I am saying is that regardless of its origin I think you would be best finding your answers (other than asking here of course) if you searched for items that would require the use of a brass stake.

Just my thoughts though.

Cool find.

Upvote 0
I am retired Army and have seen my fair share of tent stakes. LOL The only times I ever saw Brass Stakes was around fuel and comms areas for grounding purposes. Now I have never seen one like that, seen many others but that does not mean anything. I have seen short ones though, but most have been about 90 CM long.

What I am saying is that regardless of its origin I think you would be best finding your answers (other than asking here of course) if you searched for items that would require the use of a brass stake.

Just my thoughts though.

Cool find.

Thanks for the help! Makes a lot of sense didn't think about grounding application, does seem short for that though. These are keepers in my book and are not going into scrap the pile. Actually I wouldn't mind digging a few more of these to make a set.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have to agree, tent stakes made of brass doesn't make sense to me
Tent stakes are usually made of common, cheap base metal
being brass tells me its a stake used for grounding / protection
I see only one of the brass stake, is that correct?
Brady

Upvote 0
Have to agree, tent stakes made of brass doesn't make sense to me
Tent stakes are usually made of common, cheap base metal
being brass tells me its a stake used for grounding / protection
I see only one of the brass stake, is that correct?
Brady

Yes, pictures are all of same stake and I have only found one. Only thing that puzzles me is if it was electrical related how would one attach the grounding wire? Its shaped just like a other tent stakes I have seen where the smaller numb would hold down the metal ring at base of tent. Like on modern camping tents. No doubt it is Brass or copper.. I will try and get a better pic showing metal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I sent the picture to a few Sherpa buddies of mine in Nepal and asked them and also to some others in Scotland, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. Our military careers often ran us into each other and we are great on mountains. We all say that the "theory" would be for grounding but being so short it must be for some very low level static discharge. But that would be for todays applications and what we know now; what you have is an old style and maybe even before we understood the exact significance of static.

But that is only speculation; I searched the net in the six languages I am fluent in and did not find one thing even close to it. Sort of odd because I have work in the bush in 64 countries with many military groups and have seen their gear, heck I have seen a great deal of host nation gear in those areas too, hostiles and non-hostiles. Dude even the bad guys get it right when they run their generators in third world countries, they may not have the funds to fight us properly but man they always have their gen sets in order.

I would suggest going to a camping forum and maybe asking there, then again at least one third of the members here I would bet have seen their share of the bush.

To answer your question as to where a ground strap would be attached, I would have to assume it would have been a grounding ring and not a strap, cord, or cable like we would use today.

I am still waiting on one friend to get back with me, he is in Greenland at the moment where his lease is at. He normally checks in about every 2 weeks with one of us; well he better or we will contact the locals and report him off comms and then they send in the Dutch SF who patrols for us lost hobby prospectors. Now that fella has about 55 years of bush in him with about 90 countries under his passport, so if he can not speculate something then I would say what you have is pretty darn rare.

Just does not make sense for it to be so short if it is for grounding purposes and if it is not then it has to be from a place where that metal is the most abundant and common sense is out the window, so someone thought it to be a good idea to use brass.

Since you are going to keep it, are you going to clean it up? If so could you just take a little dab of ketchup and rub in well on the smoothest spot you can find or on a markers mark or even on a casting mark and then post a picture. It will first help identify better for all of us what the metal is, then a casting mark would tell us a time period and location if it is that old, but a makers mark would tell you everything,

Kind Regards,

Upvote 0
does the ball end show hammer strikes?
Brady

Yes it does. DSC00055.JPGDSC00056.JPGDSC00057.JPGDSC00058.JPGDSC00059.JPGDSC00060.JPG Thank you very much for your help Oddjob! Here are much better pics cleaned up with a little polish, as you can see it is in fact brass or copper, nice and heavy like it should be if it was. Also read solid 82 on Whites detector witch is also correct if brass or copper. I see no makers mark of any kind. Looks rather crude to be something that would of been mass produced by machine. Possible it was lost pre BSA camp or some kid got into grampas antique gear? It does have file marks down some of the side towards the ball end. Guessing they filed off extera metal from casting or mold process? I also wanted to add the nub under the ball is not warn. No wear on bottom from holding down a metal ring like on a modern tent. Top of ball is deformed from being struck so it was used some but no other real wear from any other metal contact from what I see. Possible it held down rope if it was tent related? My gut says it has some age.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could it be a property marker? Most markers are made of steel or iron, but some are made of brass as well.

The nub might be used to hold the flag in place while you are banging it into the ground...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a general statement applicable to all people requesting help identifying an item...really a constructive criticism...

I have noticed that if the person posting pre-names, dates or references an object, its purpose is embedded in the poster's mind and that purpose is defended to the death.

The odds are that someone will eventually provide the correct answer for an identification, and the ID purpose will not be close to the original prenamed, date or referenced use.

However, in the event an answer is not forthcoming, Oddjob, a TN Member, provided the best advice in setting the parameters for searching.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a general statement applicable to all people requesting help identifying an item...really a constructive criticism...

I have noticed that if the person posting pre-names, dates or references an object, its purpose is embedded in the poster's mind and that purpose is defended to the death.

The odds are that someone will eventually provide the correct answer for an identification, and the ID purpose will not be close to the original prenamed, date or referenced use.

However, in the event an answer is not forthcoming, Oddjob, a TN Member, provided the best advice in setting the parameters for searching.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

I think I understand what you are saying. Found it in the middle of the woods in an area the was basically camp grounds all through the 1900s and just guessed it was a tent stake. Figured I would make the title of my post a little different then "what is this item?" and get two replies "its a tent stake" and its over. Very interesting to say the least, I would love for someone to post a picture or info of original purpose what ever it is. Also if Oddjobs buddies have never heard of a brass tent stakes I am not going to disagree one bit with that kind of experience background.

Upvote 0
Could it be a property marker? Most markers are made of steel or iron, but some are made of brass as well.

The nub might be used to hold the flag in place while you are banging it into the ground...

Now that could be; in Germany our properties marked with little brass stakes that have a small round badge on the top of them. Well I am not sure about all of Germany, but at least where my houses are at.

When I first got to Germany and went MDing I learned the hard way and found in the forest, I started digging, a meter later I got to the end of it. Man I felt dumb too, took it home and cleaned it up real good trying to figure out what it is, my wife walks in and says who's property marker did you take. I was like what are you talking about, she pointed out real fast that only an idiot could walk 2 meters in Germany without seeing them all over the ground. Being the idiot I had to go outside and have a look for my self, that evening I could have worn the village idiot crown. LOL

Upvote 0
I think I understand what you are saying. Found it in the middle of the woods in an area the was basically camp grounds all through the 1900s and just guessed it was a tent stake. Figured I would make the title of my post a little different then "what is this item?" and get two replies "its a tent stake" and its over. Very interesting to say the least, I would love for someone to post a picture or info of original purpose what ever it is. Also if Oddjobs buddies have never heard of a brass tent stakes I am not going to disagree one bit with that kind of experience background.

Hey I tried to locate a similar one.
Bronze is a non spark material we used in paint mixrooms ,so tried similar.

Being a scout camp site makes we wonder if related...a special award or dignitary application.
Such items would really pop with a historic shelter or ceremonial one and impress young minds ,perhaps.
Found nothing there either.
Awesome item though!

Upvote 0
Hey I tried to locate a similar one.
Bronze is a non spark material we used in paint mixrooms ,so tried similar.

Being a scout camp site makes we wonder if related...a special award or dignitary application.
Such items would really pop with a historic shelter or ceremonial one and impress young minds ,perhaps.
Found nothing there either.
Awesome item though!

Yes that was another thought we had that it was originally a ceremonial or award type item given out by the boy scouts. Maybe if I get some time I will try and post on a BSA forum.

Upvote 0
Looks surgical to me. Old tool somehow used for field surgery...groove for blood to run down. imho

Upvote 0
Looks surgical to me. Old tool somehow used for field surgery...groove for blood to run down. imho

I have actually found some Native American Copper complex items around same area? Of course its modern but 50 or 300 years old. It being solid brass. ? That's like finding a brass RR Spike. Strange.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back