✅ SOLVED Brass Spheres

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up these these two spheres with small hooks this weekend from a couple in their 80s who were cleaning out their garage. They've frequented garage sales for decades, so they could have come from pretty much anywhere.

They are 3 1/2" long and just under 5.5 lbs each. They are brass on the outside but stick to a magnet, so it appears that only the outer "skin" is brass. Any ideas?

brassballs1.JPG
brassballs2.JPG

Last edited:
I picked up these these two spheres with small hooks this weekend from a couple in their 80s who were cleaning out their garage. They've frequented garage sales for decades, so they could have come from pretty much anywhere.

They are 3 1/2" long and just under 5.5 lbs each. They are brass on the outside but stick to a magnet, so it appears that only the outer "skin" is brass. Any ideas?

View attachment 2103390
View attachment 2103391
Just taking a guess, Xmas tree ornaments?

Upvote 0
Counter weight for a Victorian era oil lamp.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 9
I saw the hooks on the one end and the first thing I thought of was a counter weight from a grandfather clock. The only issue was I have never seen any that were sphere shaped. I came across that ebay posting in my search to see if those actually existed.:laughing7::tongue3:

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back