Brass "Rock" I Thought I had A Meteorite

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Brass "Rock" I Thought I had A Meteorite

Sorry this is an unglamorous post but i just thought it was unusual to find a chunk of brass like this? It reads an 87 on my dfx the same as this known brass rein guide that i found last weekend.
I searched the meteor sites and it sure looked similar to some of them but after polishing an edge it is definitely solid brass. It came from an 1800's homesite. Maybe a spill during a casting project? Thanks for having a look at my beautiful brass rock ;D
Jerry
p.s. it measures 2 inches across

Attachments

• brass hunk.JPG
    brass hunk.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 508
  • brass hunk 2.JPG
    brass hunk 2.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 364
Re: Brass "Rock" I Thought I had A Meteorite

Never heard of a brass meteorite before... had to be brass slag or broken piece of brass left to tarnish for a long time.

Upvote 0

If this was a clandestine method to showcase your rein guide, it worked on me! Love the rein guide! Oh!...... the brass lump is nice too!

Upvote 0

Are you sure the nugget is brass? Does it smell like brass? How heavy is it?

Upvote 0

lostcauses said:
Are you sure the nugget is brass? Does it smell like brass? How heavy is it?
hi lostcauses,the nugget weighs 3.5 ounces. It gives off an 85-87 vdi on the dfx,the same as this brass rein guide. It also has the same green patina as the rein guide and after taking a belt sander to it and revealing that distinct yellow color I'm certain that its brass but still curious about how this much brass came to be wasted. I worked with molten iron for years as a blast furnace "Keeper" and it looks like it might have been formed from a leak during a casting. HH,Jerry

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back