Brass or copper top of something, can you assist with ID?

Bluebird

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
Berks PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SS2 --&-- Garrett Master Hunter Deep Seeker VLF/TR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like brass or copper...kinda heavy, has 10 spikes and see those 3 lines in it? There's 4 others (not straight across from the other 3), and 3 more not across from any of them either. Not wrench marks...found about 4 inches down using my SS2 Any idea what it might be? I thought ornament top, but this is kinda higher quality to be a lot of them used for that. Thanks for any help

Attachments

• top.JPG
    top.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 123
It is called a Chinese Toothed Bell, similar to this one on Ruby Lane:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-09-30 at 2.36.08 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-09-30 at 2.36.08 PM.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
Yes Thank you for the fast reply! My house is from the late 20's and was from my back yard. Thanks again

Upvote 0
While creskol made an excellent comparison, the "teeth" don't seem to be long enough to have enclosed the ringing ball. Also it's small size would not allow enough metal surface to actually ring, though it could be decorative. It appears to be iron from the interior rust. I really think this is not a bell, but I don't know what it is.

Upvote 0
I don't think it is an inclosed bell yours looks like it had a clapper attached by a steel ring to the inside top of the bell thats why there is rust.

Upvote 0
Except for the teeth, it looks a little like the business end of a candle snuffer. Just missing the handle.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back