✅ SOLVED Brass in the swamp - Anybody got an idea?

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this among CW artillery frags and 3-ring bullets. Any educated guesses?

DSCN2149.jpgDSCN2150.jpgDSCN2151.jpgDSCN2152.jpg

Scale: 2" long and about a half inch wide at widest point. Two rivets once held it to something . . .

it kinda sorta reminds me of the hook for a bayonet frog, but it's a little too fancy for that

Upvote 0
Diffinately a rope tie off of some kind.

Upvote 0
Etex is correct, it is a RevWar British bayonet scabbard frog hook. I remember it from a long-ago relic ID question here in the What-Is-It forum. See the photo below, posted back then by T-Net memberFMarion2ndRegSC.

I mean the following as a compliment for a good guess, not as an insult. Anduril made a good logical guess... but at only 2 inches long and 1/2-inch wide, this object is too small and weak to function as a rope cleat or even a cord cleat. It's difficult to accurately guess the ID of an object with nothing else in the photo for size-comparison. Anduril was right, it sure does look like a cleat... but it's too small for that.

Attachments

• bayonet-scabbard-frog-hook_RevWar_British_TN_photobyFMarion2ndRegSC.jpg
    bayonet-scabbard-frog-hook_RevWar_British_TN_photobyFMarion2ndRegSC.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
Etex is correct, it is a RevWar British bayonet scabbard frog hook. I remember it from a long-ago relic ID question here in the What-Is-It forum. See the photo below, posted back then by T-Net memberFMarion2ndRegSC.

I mean the following as a compliment for a good guess, not as an insult. Anduril made a good logical guess... but at only 2 inches long and 1/2-inch wide, this object is too small and weak to function as a rope cleat or even a cord cleat. It's difficult to accurately guess the ID of an object with nothing else in the photo for size-comparison. Anduril was right, it sure does look like a cleat... but it's too small for that.

Pete, that is TOO cool! Now I think about the story. My Gosh! This was an 1862 battle, so early war. Did some ole boy show up with a British bayonet that grandad had captured in the Revolution?! Or was this just 18th century surplus bought from a sutler or imported? Thanks for making the story MUCH cooler!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back