Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you might know what this is. It is a little over an inch long and made of brass.

HPIM4564.JPGHPIM4565.JPGHPIM4566.JPG

Thanks for your help,

Buck

looks like something that would be pushed down with the thumb to pop a top or open a lid from something without having to use the other hand?For example, like one of those German beer steins

Upvote 0
There was a non-threaded hole in the end I am holding in the photos.

Upvote 0
Looks like a key from an over-the-shoulder saxhorn

Upvote 0
I agree with SSBob; it looks like a thumb lever to a door.

Interesting find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Is that a thumb lever that locks a door? Or that opens one?

Upvote 0
Is that a thumb lever that locks a door? Or that opens one?

W, it looks like a thumb plate that would open a door. When I was a kid, our front door had a large brass door assembly, and the thumb area to open the door looked almost identical to yours. The modern ones made today are less 'spoon-like. Do yours fit your thumb?

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
I have a similar one on my cellar door, except my lever is one long piece. Mine is iron, but I painted it brass color to make it look better.

DSC02851.JPGDSC02853.JPG

Upvote 0
Being that it has a non threaded hole in it,that would say it was attached to another lever,my point being most door thumb latches were long levers that lifted the latch out of a slot and being as short as this is I don't think it was a door latch.Not sure what it is though.The beer stein idea would have a short lever like this or some sort of container might have a closed spout that this would have opened to pour something out.

Upvote 0
W, it looks like a thumb plate that would open a door. When I was a kid, our front door had a large brass door assembly, and the thumb area to open the door looked almost identical to yours. The modern ones made today are less 'spoon-like. Do yours fit your thumb?

Breezie

Yes it does fit my thumb.

I had a friend PM me and say he thought it might be a powder flask piece, which many do look close. Anyone got the Powder Flask book? I unfortunately don't own a copy.

Upvote 0
I don't have any powder horn books, but did look online, but couldn't find anything similar to what you have. I did; however, come up with 2 more ideas: a Victorian mechanical door bell and a brass silent butler. Although the pics below are not identical to your find, the principle is the same.

DoorBellLever.jpg
SilentButler.jpg

Breezie

Upvote 0
One thought was a flush button for a toilet cistern, but I haven't been able to find an older example.

Upvote 0
I'd thought of a lever cap from a wood plane, but searched a bunch and couldn't find a match there either.

Upvote 0
Yes it does fit my thumb.

I had a friend PM me and say he thought it might be a powder flask piece, which many do look close. Anyone got the Powder Flask book? I unfortunately don't own a copy.

I am sure others and especially the experts will agree, that it is not a thumb lever from a powder flask. It is too large and besides most of these were ribbed like a cocking hammer on a rifle, shotgun or revolver to give non-slip grip.

Frank

Upvote 0
I'll go with the latch theory. You don't have enough from a stein to hold beer anyway!

Upvote 0
I am sure others and especially the experts will agree, that it is not a thumb lever from a powder flask. It is too large and besides most of these were ribbed like a cocking hammer on a rifle, shotgun or revolver to give non-slip grip.

Frank

I've never seen a ribbed one. Got any photos of examples?

Upvote 0
I have installed 1000's of pieces of door hardware, and I agree with some of the other posters that this possibly came off a door escutcheon, if so it would of been on a "dummy" door set, which would go on the non-active door in a double door setup, a thumb lever dummy door hardware wouldn't have the long lever that activates the mechanism that would be on an active hardware set, but instead have a short arm such as the one you have where it would be permanently attached to the escutcheon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back