Portland, OR

Attachments

• widget.jpg
    widget.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 570
It looks like some sort of old door catch. :P

Upvote 0
diggummup said:
It's half of a locking mechanism for an old wood framed window.

I agree, Dig!

Attachments

• AH00155.jpg
    AH00155.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 507
  • AH00286.jpg
    AH00286.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 501
Upvote 0
Ah ha! Yeah, I could certainly see that being the case. You guys are good! I sure appreciate it.

Any idea on the date range for a piece like this?

Upvote 0
Sorry folks, have to disagree.

A sash lock has its "working" surface adjacent, or perpindicular to its mounting surface.

This item has its working surface opposite and parallel to its mounting surface.

The triangular protrusion looks like it is sloped to help guide something. While I can't find any dead-on matches yet, I vote that it is the strike portion of what is known as a rim lock (a sort of surface mount dead bolt) for doors.

Diggem'

Upvote 0
I noticed the 90-degree discrepancy also, but then I just figured it must be for a window where the two halves swing together and lock in the center. Or something similar.

I'm still hoping for a date on this piece, too. I found some zinc lids near this piece before and also one this last weekend (which I just realized is missing from my photo of the day's finds) that dated to around 1900, but a home in this spot could possibly date to as early as 1850 or so.

Upvote 0
This is the closest example of the strike configuration I could find.

Also, a little history on one John Carpenter who made his rim locks such that the bolt swung up and down rather than side to side

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/Museum/locks/gazetteer/gazcaa-chu.htm

Yours doesn't match any of the Carpenters rim lock exaples I could find, but is similar in functional configuration - perhaps produced by a direct competitor or a knock-off manufacturer here in the states. Time period appears to be 1850 onward.

Diggem'

Attachments

• carpentersrimlock01.jpg
    carpentersrimlock01.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 503
Upvote 0
Here we go! No time to find a photo right now.I work for a living.If there is still doubt when I get home,i'll try and find a photo,okay? Geesh!

Upvote 0
Here's some victorian draw pulls from an 1881 hardware cataloge .

mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 458
  • Picture 002 (2).jpg
    Picture 002 (2).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 464
Upvote 0
Notice the top right photo posted by Mlw67/ This would be the head-on (outward facing) view of the item if it were a drawer pull. A drawer pull is symmetrical and does not have the same sort of open area along the lower edge. Granted, there are similiarities; however, I still believe that this is part of a window/sash lock.

Mlw67, you might try sending the photos to Web Wilson, a leading expert on antique door and window hardware. You might also be able to find a reasonably close match to your item by going through the extensive galleries of his online museum.

E-mail: [email protected]

Galleries: http://gallery.webwilson.com/

Upvote 0
Yes , PBK , Dig , I first thought it was a broken draw pull - til I reread the post . Window part sounds right . But the those draw pull designs might help at least date it do the 1880's .
mojjax

Upvote 0
mojjax said:
Those draw pull designs might help at least date it do the 1880's .

You're right, Mojjax, it's definitely late Victorian— 1880's to early 1900's. BTW, several hardware catalogs from that period are included in the Web Wilson galleries, and perhaps a similar pattern could be found in one of them.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the continued help. It is very much appreciated!

LOL Tramp -- sarcasm is so hard to get across in text, but you pulled it off. Uh, you *were* being sarcastic, weren't you? ::)

Upvote 0
=mlw67
LOL Tramp -- sarcasm is so hard to get across in text, but you pulled it off. Uh, you *were* being sarcastic, weren't you? ::)
NAH!! just kidding heheheheehh. As a matter of fact, 1/2 of the things that they have id'd, I haven't had the faintest idea what they might be. snicker.

Tropical Tamp

Upvote 0
Here is a different track. Perhaps it is a striker off a cast victorian match holder? Possible?
As far as being a doohickey, i've never seen a picture of one. What do they look like?
DG

Upvote 0
Thanks you guys.

I looked through every one of those catalog pages and I couldn't find anything similar.

I then emailed that guy but I think he was in a hurry. He said it was a cast-iron drawer pull, even though I said in my note it was brass and we already covered here why it probably isn't a drawer pull. :-\ I'm not going to bug him again just to point out the discrepancies.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back