Brass Chain Pieces and Brass ??

dustyspurs

Jun 20, 2012
Lafayette
Detector(s) used
Deus 3.2 , Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found both of these in the same cane field along with bullets and a half dime.

Note the chain is not a single strand. The other brass piece is 3 inches long and had something attached in the center (part is still there). Could it be some type of handle or site mechanism or ???The other object looks like a finial, but were they ever made of lead? Also, it has a flat bottom. 20150210_184849.jpg20150210_184758.jpg As always, thanks for your experience and insight.

does the bullet appear to be carved..rather looks like a game piece(pawn etc.)

Upvote 0
Based on the oxidation, I can't see any carving. It's very small, i.e. next to a half dime. At first, I thought it was a derringer or pocket gun bullet. One of my buddies thought it might be a cleaner bullet and another said finial. The ring at the base is pretty big compared to the rest of it. I guess it could be a chess pawn for a very small board.

Upvote 0
Your bullet looks like a Tranter revolver bullet. Do a google search on Tranter bullets OR take a better picture and provide the exact measurements. It could be a pretty rare pistol bullet.

Upvote 0
Thanks Tennessee Digger. I think you are right. I don't have a caliper to measure the bullet, but it's an exact match look wise for a Tranter - either the .39 or .435.thumbs_ewing-bullets-1-042.jpgthumbs_ewing-bullets-1-045.jpg

Appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
I think the bullet "What's it?" was solved by Tennesse Digger. Any ideas on the other two objects?

Upvote 0
Thanks DC Matt. Those finials are very similar, but I think I found the correct bullet match. See the pictures below. Appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
I also think that DCMatt is correct on his ID of a curb chain. He is pretty sharp on IDing things!

Upvote 0
Well I'm familiar with curb chains and it might be. The links are pretty large for the ones I've seen and used but not sure about old ones and what they were made from. That one is brass. Appreciate your ideas.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back