Brass bell ... cant identify anything

tempogen

Jan 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass bell ... can't identify anything

Hello guys,

Noob here, with some coins that I might as well post later on just to not appear as a forum crasher :laughing7:

I was given this huge brass bell by someone, to use as decor for my office. it's in a sorry state as it's covered in tar and cement, so I assume it was in a building somewhere, although my sense of it is that it's either a ship bell or something of the sort. I am working on it today to remove the tar and cement and give it a polish. primarily I can see it has markings on each side, one is of double headed eagle with shield and crown, another is what appears to be a boy or an angel ( I think I see wings ) playing a pipe and riding some sort of beast, a lion maybe. on another side is what I can make out to be a bull facing forward, and on the other a random face.

I will of course post pictures when i'm done with it, but in the meantime does anyone know what these emblems mean? I am completely baffled.

Thanks for your help

T

Pics :

IMG_5304.JPG
IMG_5305.JPG
IMG_5306.JPG
IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5308.JPG

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Party. These are some pretty neat things. I can't tell you about of them but someone on here can. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Upvote 0
Some great symbolism on the old bell. Christ's head, possibly Christ with a lantern and a Bible, Cupid riding a lioness, a heraldic shield containing (best I can make out) crown, double headed eagle, shield with rampant lion and feather (?) I would lean toward it being a church or religious school bell. With tar and cement spalling on it , it more than likely went through a structure fire. The 'Three hole" hanging device is unusual, compared to brass bells I saw online too. Hopefully a bell expert will "chime in' and ID it for you! Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
Looking at alter bells I find several types. (pending the size of that thing ??) Most are the jingly 4 bell types, but some are a hand held single bell. Definitely Christian imagery on it and casted very well. Probably lifted from the church by an ornery alter boy. I sure knew a few of those when I was a kid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking at alter bells I find several types. (pending the size of that thing ??) Most are the jingly 4 bell types, but some are a hand held single bell. Definitely Christian imagery on it and casted very well. Probably lifted from the church by an ornery alter boy. I sure knew a few of those when I was a kid.

Well it's at least 14" in diameter and weighs a good 20 lb it feels, so alter boy would have to be a pretty burly one. :laughing7:

Thanks for the welcome and feedback guys ! please keep em coming

T

Upvote 0
Well it's at least 14" in diameter and weighs a good 20 lb it feels, so alter boy would have to be a pretty burly one. :laughing7:

Thanks for the welcome and feedback guys ! please keep em coming

T

Oh its 14 inches. Just a big brass bell then

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back