Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 2011-03-22 007.JPG
    2011-03-22 007.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 2011-03-22 008.JPG
    2011-03-22 008.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 281
??? :dontknow: Have no idea here, both of us are stumped, but are REALLY interested to see what it is!!!!!! :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

Upvote 0
Woodland Detectors said:
At first when I plucked it, I thought it might have been a clip for a CW era gun belt. It's close, but not the same. Any ideas?

Thanks

I have found two just like it Mike and always thought they were horse related, but what do I know? :dontknow:

Upvote 0
The precise shape of parts of an item's form are usually made in that shape for a "functional" reason.

I notice that one side of this mystery-item's long straight shank is rounded, and its other side is perfectly flat. Got to be a reason for that. I think the item is some kind of "strap snap-clip" ...perhaps (but not definitely) one for horsegear. The clip's long flexible iron "tongue" part is usually flat-bodied, and therefore the place where it is mounted on the clip's main body is flat. To see what I mean by "long flexible iron tongue"... use the link posted by Timekiller to the blockaderunner.com site and look at the Leech-&-Rigdon saber snap on the right of the three shown in the photo. I can't post the photo here because it is Copyrighted.

You posted a photo showing the rounded side of the snap-clip. Please post another like it, except showing the flat side, so we can see if there's any evidence of a flexible "tongue" having been mounted on that flat side.

Another part-of-an-item's-form clue is the presence of a short stud inside the item's rectangular loop. The stud is located on its outer bar. I think the stud's purpose is to fit into a hole in the strap. Similar to how a person's waistbelt buckle works... the stud going into a hole in the strap would keep the strap from sliding freely while in use.

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
The precise shape of parts of an item's form are usually made in that shape for a "functional" reason.

I notice that one side of this mystery-item's long straight shank is rounded, and its other side is perfectly flat. Got to be a reason for that. I think the item is some kind of "strap snap-clip" ...perhaps (but not definitely) one for horsegear. The clip's long flexible iron "tongue" part is usually flat-bodied, and therefore the place where it is mounted on the clip's main body is flat. To see what I mean by "long flexible iron tongue"... use the link posted by Timekiller to the blockaderunner.com site and look at the Leech-&-Rogdon saber snap on the right of the three shown in the photo. I can't post the photo here because it is Copyrighted.

You posted a photo showing the rounded side of the snap-clip. Please post another like it, except showing the flat side, so we can see if there's any evidence of a flexible "tongue" having been mounted on that flat side.

Another part-of-an-item's-form clue is the presence of a short stud inside the item's rectangular loop. The stud is located on its outer bar. I think the stud's purpose is to fit into a hole in the strap. Similar to how a person's waistbelt buckle works... the stud going into a hole in the strap would keep the strap from sliding freely while in use.
I agree 100 percent. Thank you for your input.

And there it is, obviously it has broken way.

Attachments

• 2011-03-23 001.JPG
    2011-03-23 001.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back