pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The weather warmed up to a pleasing 46F yesterday. Time for a little play, and the last one for the year.
So the snow fog cleared mostly, and I headed out.
Was planning of going south for the day. Multiple cellar holes spread over a few permissions.
As I was driving down the highway I glanced over and saw the hillside farm off in the distance. I have a new permission for this one.
Quick turnaround and off to find the entrance to the farm.
I spoke to the permissions and he asked me which cellar hole did I want to start with?
4 or 5 choices 🤔
I'll start with the family cellar hole first.
So now it's getting on late in the morning by the time the first recovery was made. A lovely D buckle, deep down.
20231227_172847.jpg

Then a wee button, that turned out to be a snap button.
20231227_171928.jpg

Lantern parts, and bits of lead. 2 parts of a spoon (looks like an apple)
20231227_172711.jpg

I got a couple of crotal bells back to back finds but 30 minutes apart.
20231227_173408.jpg

The ground was a frozen landscape for the first few inches.
I was chopping the plug smaller and smaller. Then
I almost crapped myself on this recovery. Saw the shiny squashed edge, and said you daft fart.
I was lucky that it was nothing good.
20231226_133712.jpg

Well the day was getting on so I went back the farm house emptying the pouch the permission came over to see the finds.
Interested but not overly so it seemed.
He showed me his detector earlier and it was Garrett 250. (I was feeling intimidated by this yellow bug, nope not going to hold a wee candle against the Deus ll force)
Where next Jim?
Maybe I'll check out the cellar hole over there.
"Here I'll walk over and show you"
So we slogged across the corn rows, to the site.
(It was easier to walk down a row then across the wind row end)
But I'm not there to argue, just follow, stepping 100's of times over the corn stalk rows.
Got to the site, felt like I'd goose stepped a mile in the mud.
20231226_113015.jpg

"This is where I found my button."
I kindly dug up a few bits of big iron, a button. Found the iron patch.
He got bored and I was able to make some progress.
I hate entertaining really I do.

But I swung while he filled the air with history of the area.
Hard to listen to a 2 way conversation between the machine and the history teacher.
Headphones over the touque, one cup above the ear listening to these 2 entertaining my ears.
Finally he left and I started pop the finds.
Some lovely green buttons and deep down.

20231227_170756.jpg
20231227_170807.jpg
20231227_171945.jpg
20231226_155845.jpg

A real nice Anchor button face-no back though
20231227_165931.jpg

Strange one here and not 100% it's a button even though a shank look on the back, could be a saw nut?
20231227_171958.jpg
20231227_172008.jpg

Dug what looks like a powder flask top?
20231227_173011.jpg
20231227_173018.jpg

Here's the tray of goods
20231227_173506.jpg

Thanks for looking
Hope everyone had a great Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.
Hope 2024 season will bring many smiles, and keepers to you all as well.

Attachments

• 20231226_133709.jpg
    20231226_133709.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 39
Niiiiice !! Man that's alot to look at !! Plentiful amount of targets there, all keepers !!🫡
I shall wait for a spring tilling. Next year will be beans. There's still 3 cellar holes to discover so I'm hoping for more recoveries.

Excellent work as ever Peps… but u were right to be wary of that Garret Ace 250…!! 😉 xx
Thanks blossom
He proudly took it down off the nail in the outside car garage (It doesn't even earn a spot in the warm cozy home)
"He's my detector-Oh it's got too many bells and whistles-I don't understand it)

Fantastic hunt Pepperj. Love the bells and buttons. I cringed when I saw the corn field pic after my recent experience.

That's a nice assortment alright. Love the anchor button and the bells.
Thanks Robert

Funny thing about the crotal bell. I was detecting along and I thought something about a crotal bell a few minutes later the next signal there it was-I thought that was weird-only if it was that easy for every find. :laughing7:

Great haul , love the bells
Thanks Nathan
Digging up a Crotal bell is one of the best relics that I can dig up
No other recovery can come back to life as a bell can.
Clean the dirt out wash them up, dry, shake and they jingle/ring as they did over a century or more.

Kind of a time machine that is under rated by many it seems.
I'd rather dig a bell than a LC any day.

Thanks Nathan
Digging up a Crotal bell is one of the best relics that I can dig up
No other recovery can come back to life as a bell can.
Clean the dirt out wash them up, dry, shake and they jingle/ring as they did over a century or more.

Kind of a time machine that is under rated by many it seems.
I'd rather dig a bell than a LC any day.
The weather warmed up to a pleasing 46F yesterday. Time for a little play, and the last one for the year.
So the snow fog cleared mostly, and I headed out.
Was planning of going south for the day. Multiple cellar holes spread over a few permissions.
As I was driving down the highway I glanced over and saw the hillside farm off in the distance. I have a new permission for this one.
Quick turnaround and off to find the entrance to the farm.
I spoke to the permissions and he asked me which cellar hole did I want to start with?
4 or 5 choices 🤔
I'll start with the family cellar hole first.
So now it's getting on late in the morning by the time the first recovery was made. A lovely D buckle, deep down.
View attachment 2122556
Then a wee button, that turned out to be a snap button.
View attachment 2122557
Lantern parts, and bits of lead. 2 parts of a spoon (looks like an apple)View attachment 2122558
I got a couple of crotal bells back to back finds but 30 minutes apart.View attachment 2122559
The ground was a frozen landscape for the first few inches.
I was chopping the plug smaller and smaller. Then
I almost crapped myself on this recovery. Saw the shiny squashed edge, and said you daft fart.
I was lucky that it was nothing good.View attachment 2122560
Well the day was getting on so I went back the farm house emptying the pouch the permission came over to see the finds.
Interested but not overly so it seemed.
He showed me his detector earlier and it was Garrett 250. (I was feeling intimidated by this yellow bug, nope not going to hold a wee candle against the Deus ll force)
Where next Jim?
Maybe I'll check out the cellar hole over there.
"Here I'll walk over and show you"
So we slogged across the corn rows, to the site.
(It was easier to walk down a row then across the wind row end)
But I'm not there to argue, just follow, stepping 100's of times over the corn stalk rows.
Got to the site, felt like I'd goose stepped a mile in the mud.View attachment 2122572
"This is where I found my button."
I kindly dug up a few bits of big iron, a button. Found the iron patch.
He got bored and I was able to make some progress.

Hard to listen to a 2 way conversation between the machine and the history teacher.
Headphones over the touque, one cup above the ear listening to these 2 entertaining my ears.
Finally he left and I started pop the finds.
Some lovely green buttons and deep down.

View attachment 2122562View attachment 2122563View attachment 2122564View attachment 2122568

A real nice Anchor button face-no back thoughView attachment 2122567
Strange one here and not 100% it's a button even though a shank look on the back, could be a saw nut?View attachment 2122565View attachment 2122566
Dug what looks like a powder flask top?
View attachment 2122569View attachment 2122570

Here's the tray of goodsView attachment 2122575

Thanks for looking
Hope everyone had a great Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.
Hope 2024 season will bring many smiles, and keepers to you all as well.
Great post Pepper.Congratulations
I like your ability to describe your hunts step by step.i hope to also be able to find some bells one day.
Thanks again for sharing and Wishing you the Best for the New Year

PJ,
I felt like I was right there with you with that narrative. You cracked me up with:
"He got bored and I was able to make some progress.
Hard to listen to a 2 way conversation between the machine and the history teacher." :laughing7:

Looks like you are on to a nice permission there. Some nice recoveries for sure. I love those old buttons and backmarks, and the crotal bells too. It's great that you can still get out this time of year. :icon_thumleft:
Well done Sir,
MM

Fantastic hunt Pepperj. Love the bells and buttons. I cringed when I saw the corn field pic after my recent experience.
Thanks sibbley
Detecting in the corn is tiring as one has to swing -2ft swings, of swing dianglely over the next row.
But it does keep the grid lines straight. :laughing7:
I've gone back many times after the corn planting (next till or bean planting) and recovered lots that the coil has missed.
I only can truly say as I stated to the permission "You have a very clean farm" No trash was dug. :headbang:

Great post Pepper.Congratulations
I like your ability to describe your hunts step by step.i hope to also be able to find some bells one day.
Thanks again for sharing and Wishing you the Best for the New Year
Thanks Bill
Happy New Year
Hope you get a bell this next season, truly a nice piece of history.
I've given many away to the farmer's wives for a tree ornament. I put a little red ribbon on them and drop them off-makes the eyes light up and a smile.

Fun hunt Pepper, thanks for taking us along!
Those bells are so cool. I've only found a piece of one so far and was excited about that. Hearing one ring would be awesome.
Thanks for the reply
I never found one out west either (BC)
Seems like the bells were more popular in the east for some reason, maybe because of the age of them.
May 2024 bring a ringer to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back