706josh

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2014
Augusta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in another section but thought I would try here as as well...

I've had these for years, they belonged to my grandmother and were given to me when she passed away. I know absolutely nothing about them, if they're authentic or not. I just thought I'd post photos of them here and see if anyone can tell me anything or knows anyone I could contact to get some info.

The bows are about 5 feet long and the arrows are about the same (maybe a little shorter). The quiver is leather and dried out with holes rotten out. The arrows are made of bamboo, have no fletching at the nock and long carved wooden arrowheads. They also have some designs etched into the wood about halfway down the arrow.

Here are some pics:

20140101_181652.jpg20140101_181636.jpg20140101_181541.jpg20140101_181533.jpg20140101_181512.jpg20140101_181442.jpg20140101_181415.jpg20140101_181258.jpg20140101_181221.jpg20140101_181008.jpg

Upvote 0
hey Josh,
Welcome to TN.
The hardwood points and reed arrows are real similar to Venezuelan examples I have. Need better pics of the bows.

View attachment 924149

I've not seen North American hardwood points. Others here have much more experience than I and I'm sure will be by to help.

JMO Those are a bow and arrows that are the type you find on the upper Amazon river in South America, I am sure they are from that area, there are a lot of different tribes along the Amazon river. From what I can see in the photos the quiver is rawhide, with a piece of pigskin around the mouth of the quiver, but the thread that it was sewn with looks to be modern type, and I may be wrong on that, it could be dyed grass rope and the colors are right for South American and it just may be the photos is why I'm saying that. As for age I'm going to say between 50 to 75 years old and that is just a guess. If you want to keep this item you need to find someone to restore it, it looks like you have a fungus problem going on with it. That is real nice and even better since it belonged to your grandmother.:icon_thumleft:

I noticed the twine in the first photo. Cant really say its old by the twine but I have seen collections put together in yrs of time so some could be old and some could be newer. But not Native American. Thanks for the post, rock

Yeah, I don't believe the quiver is original due to the colored thread. It looks to be cheaply made. I've cleaned up the bows and arrows since these photos were taken. They had a layer of dirt caked on. I'll see if I can get some better pictures tonight.

Are hardwood arrow tips common? I've never seen them before until I got these.

Also, you may be right about them being South America. A quick google search yielded this image with wooden tips similar to mine.

1992-0244-arrows1.jpg

The dark brown leather around the top of the quiver looks newer. Shiny on the outside and brushed on the inside.

Yeah, I don't believe the quiver is original due to the colored thread. It looks to be cheaply made. I've cleaned up the bows and arrows since these photos were taken. They had a layer of dirt caked on. I'll see if I can get some better pictures tonight.

Are hardwood arrow tips common? I've never seen them before until I got these.

I wouldnt clean them if they are ancient. Cleaning will take away the age.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back