✅ SOLVED bought a small stove at a yard sale

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone date this or tell me where they were used? I got it at a yard sale for $15. My son and I hooked it up to a propane tank this evening and it works great. It has a swastika stamped on each of the 2 brass valves so I figure it's at the very least about 68 years old.

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 487
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 539
  • stove3.jpg
    stove3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 276
Cool .. Looks like a two burner camp stove. Griswald use to make one similar I think!

Upvote 0
It is an early gas two burner stove for residential use.

These were popular when natural gas became available on a wide spread basis. You could have natural gas piped into your home, buy a stove like the one you have pictured, set it on your kitchen counter top...and like magic, you no longer had to start a fire in a wood stove to heat anything.

Look up Griswold stove on ebay. Griswold was one of many manufacturers of these stoves.

Many people still buy these for use today. I am told they are easy to convert to use a propane tank from a gas grill. Several people I know use them for outdoor kitchens, like boiling maple syrup, preparing food concessions, or tailgating.

I've owned several Griswolds in the past, and wish that I would have kept one.

Upvote 0
It is an early gas two burner stove for residential use.

These were popular when natural gas became available on a wide spread basis. You could have natural gas piped into your home, buy a stove like the one you have pictured, set it on your kitchen counter top...and like magic, you no longer had to start a fire in a wood stove to heat anything.

Look up Griswold stove on ebay. Griswold was one of many manufacturers of these stoves.

Many people still buy these for use today. I am told they are easy to convert to use a propane tank from a gas grill. Several people I know use them for outdoor kitchens, like boiling maple syrup, preparing food concessions, or tailgating.

I've owned several Griswolds in the past, and wish that I would have kept one.

I guess they could be used in either application .. camp or residential. I have always heard them referred to as camp stoves.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 7.03.02 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 7.03.02 AM.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 476
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 7.06.04 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 7.06.04 AM.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 121
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 7.06.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 7.06.19 AM.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0
I've never heard of them being referred to as camp stoves...but what do I know?

I have a friend who has been collecting those for years, and once upon a time, was hoping to write a book on the Griswold stoves. I don't think he ever got started on it, but his collection is cool.

Upvote 0
You guys are good! This one I don't believe is a Griswold brand though. I can't find any markings on it other than the swastikas. We hooked up a 5 or 6 gallon propane tank to it and the burners worked. I wonder if it has been converted to propane or it may still have natural gas valves in it. Any suggestions on how to tell?
It's very heavy so I wouldn't want to carry it around very much. We were going to use it as a sort of camp stove though and put a crab cooker on it at the coast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys are good! This one I don't believe is a Griswold brand though. I can't find any markings on it other than the swastikas. We hooked up a 5 or 6 gallon propane tank to it and the burners worked. I wonder if it has been converted to propane or it may still have natural gas valves in it. Any suggestions on how to tell?
It's very heavy so I wouldn't want to carry it around very much. We were going to use it as a sort of camp stove though and put a crab cooker on it at the coast.

I will bring the Old Bay seasoning and the beer .. let me know when the crab pot is on!

Upvote 0
Orifice size should be the key to natural gas or propane.Smaller hole for higher pressure of propane.
Sorry memory weak of propane service days but there was a chart i used that i think listed appliances to determine what size for application of natural or propane..perhaps a large dealer of gas appliances could help.
Those do make great camp/outdoor stoves and are real good for home canning ,as pots bigger than burner creates too much heat for some stove tops.

Upvote 0
creskol....I use just butter on my crab but beer is spot on!
we just did a ton of canning and we discussed using this. we shoulda huh?

Upvote 0
creskol....I use just butter on my crab but beer is spot on!
we just did a ton of canning and we discussed using this. we shoulda huh?

Yeah .. Butter will work, too! Sounds delicious! That probably would work great for canning outdoors. My wife would appreciate it if I roasted my hot peppers outdoors!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back