Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555530698.705009.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555530785.067046.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555530890.346295.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555530988.925516.jpg
Found some old bottles in the barn I’m cleaning out, many I think I’ll get on my own, but these two look like I might need help
The second one I don’t have high hopes for a manufacturer but I was thinking I could at least get some info

They are both ABM (automatic bottle machine) made so their are after 1910.
I would date them in the 20s to early 30s

Upvote 0
Not questioning but for my own knowledge what makes them abm bottles? The seams?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555643230.653198.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555643269.873208.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555643296.193294.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555643343.533120.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555643367.968649.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555643406.457075.jpg
Here are some of the others I haven’t got around to looking into them so I’ll let you guys have at it, I know the heim bottle is pre prohibition beer

I suspect you guys are right on your time frame for the tough ones, I thought maybe the triangle was an identifiable mark, sorry for the limited pics ill get the bottles cleaned sometime. There’s no other markings I’ve noticed beyond what I showed so I stuck with seams/tops/-and bases

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The bottle in the lower left does not look ABM. It looks like it has an applied lip, which would date it before 1906.

Upvote 0
HuntinDog nailed your first bottle. :thumbsup:

"Automatic Bottle Machine - Refers to a fully automated machine that produces bottles independent of human supplied labor. It works by gathering the glass automatically from the furnace, uses mechanically air pressure to the blow the bottle to shape, and requires no hand finishing work to form or finish the lip. These bottles are also sometimes called Full-Automatic machine produced. The acronym "ABM" is used as a short hand reference for all machine-made bottles - those produced by the Owens Automatic Bottle Machine, other fully automated machines, most semi-automatic machines, and semi-automatic machines converted to fully automatic via a gob feeder. The term is a short hand reference to a machine-made bottle as compared to a mouth-blown BIMAL (blown in mold, applied lip) bottle. The acronym ABM apparently originated from the collectors literature in the early 1960s."

Great saves OTB, the bottle with the applied top is a beauty!
Dave

Upvote 0
they are nice bottles, decent find.

how old do you think the barn is? What sort of barn is it or what was its primary use by the farmer?

Barns around my area could have been stables in the old days for draft horses, hay barns or corn cribs. Most of the barns with stables I have seen also had area for cows and a tack room.

Upvote 0
I’ve got a picture of it from the early 1900’s but it’s hard to say I can’t use the house to date the barn because the original house burned all I can say is they used large wire nails so must be right around 1900’s

It’s divided into quarters with a walkway down the middle. A quarter of it was for dairy it’s got a slab with a channel to catch waste and several boxes for feed, there’s a small room that has tongue and groove across the floor and walls that’s sealed fairly tight I’m guessing to store something away from mice and such, then there’s 3 spaces that are dirt floor divided by half walls. Then the second story was a hay loft.

So what features tell that a bottle is abm instead of hand made?

Upvote 0
An ABM bottle has the seam going all the way to the top of the bottle. A hand blown bottle has the seam stopping on the neck.

Upvote 0
Your bottle in your last set of pictures that you show the top of was most likly a beer and made somewhere in the 1890s.
It's top was applied and finished by hand.
You can tell that by the uneven Globy look of the glass of the top and no seam present extending up from the side of the neck.

ABM bottles will have a seam in the top extending up from the neck.

Upvote 0
Thanks I’ll know what to look for when I’m looking at the bottles that are scattered along the river bottoms... somebody up stream loves Snapple... and cheap booze the kind that comes in plastic handles

Upvote 0
Older The Better. I just thought of something. Wait til you find a bottle with no seam at all. This will completely bewilder you. They are called "turn mold bottles". The bottle was blown in a mold, then turned, eliminating the seam.:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
Older The Better. I just thought of something. Wait til you find a bottle with no seam at all. This will completely bewilder you. They are called "turn mold bottles". The bottle was blown in a mold, then turned, eliminating the seam.:icon_thumleft:

I’ll have to keep an eye out

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back