Bottle age?

How about the seam if any,and a pic of the top.you have to look closely for seams.If it was blown into a mold it could have two or three seams to it.there were two piece molds and three piece molds,if it was a handblown,no mold it would have no seam.the bottom is kind of rough ,hard to make out the pontile scar.

Upvote 0
No seams

But I did notice a weird mark in the glare rectangular shape with circle at top...... Maybe piece of steel that was holding the bottle while formed?

Upvote 0
My guess maybe mid 1800s.Hard to tell without holding it.Theres better bottle guys than me here,post it in the bottle threads

Upvote 0
Think you had an iron pontile scar.

ironpontil_small.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help red James much appreciated

Upvote 0
That's what it looks like iron just broke off clean

Upvote 0
On 99% of square bottles that I've seen the seam will be on opposite corner edges.
In your first picture it looks like the seam goes up the neck and into the top.
In the second picture I think I see the seam coming across the shoulder and up the neck.
In your base picture it is hard to tell, but I think it is just a rough base and not a pontil mark.
In all cases it's best to have the questioned bottle in hand to make an informed estimate on age and possible use.
Judging from what I can see in the pictures I would say your bottle is from around the 19 teens to early 20's.
It could have contained anything from ink/blacking to some sort of medicine.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back