Blumb Bob (NOT!) Electrical or welding part or swag. Age or other details?

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
I suspec this is a plumb bob of some sort, but I don't know. The outside is made of some type of ceramic. The point is metal. You can see the size with the nickle. It has a piece of a shell stuck in the open end.

point1jpgpw7.jpg

point2jpgyx7.jpg

Any help on object or age is much appreciated.

Re: Blumb Bob or what? Age or any help on this whatzit. Thanks

Looks more like some sort of electrical insulator.

Upvote 0

I'm not sure what it is but don't believe it's a plumb bob as there would be a screwed end where a line could be inserted directly in the middle of the top of the "bob".

plumbob.jpg

11-PlumbBobS.jpg

Upvote 0

My first impression is also insulator. Monty

Upvote 0

part of and electric arc lamp?

Upvote 0

dingode said:
part of and electric arc lamp?

Hmmm. You guys are taking me in a totally different direction than I imagined. I'm having a tough time getting the picture of how this would work as an electrical part.

Upvote 0

to me it kinda looks like part of an old spinning wheel

EDIT:
:-[
I missed the ceramic part,,, not a spinning wheel part

Upvote 0

Where was it found? Can we get a pic of each end?

Upvote 0

Here are some additional photos of the two ends. It was found on a beach. I don't remember which one. The open end is hollow down to about the widest place on the ceramic (about half way down).

nip4ck5.jpg

nip3yu0.jpg

nip2ab0.jpg

nip1kc9.jpg

Thanks for all of your ideas.

Upvote 0
i dont remember what they re called, but I'm leaning towards a tool that hangs on a rope to measure water depth so boats didn't get hung up on a bar or reef.

Upvote 0
I don't see the need to form a ceramic material around a centre metal part for any other reason than to form an insulated electrode. Water depth (sounding) devices, (called leads (pron leds not leeds) in the British Navy), plumb bobs, spinning weights etc are cheap enough to make out of one material. I'm at a disadvantage as a Brit, albeit with a lengthy electrical/telecomms/electronics/IT background, because I dunno where you'd see this kind of electrode in the US. Perhaps to protect a large insulator??

Upvote 0
The relatively small size and design ( collar ) indicate the need for periodic replacement, the copper/ceramic indicate high heat and its hard not to see the center as an electrode of some type.

I wish i could say the portable spot welders ive used (as a tech, i rarely used them, the body shop guys had much more experience ) used this type of tip, the one i used had solid, screw-in tips. This still **could** be an early example, even off of a assembly line robotic spot welder.

I see it as a replaceable throw-away part used in welding, i could be way off though. :wink:

Upvote 0
I don't think its a welding tool . i do weld and have never seen anything like that... plus there is no sign of burning or spatter.

but I can see that tip as some sort electrical part or contact , part of a lightning rod or electrode?

ceramic electrode
Ignition_Electrode.jpg

lightning rod
90.04.jpg

Upvote 0
The shape of the ceramic is very similar to that shown in your first picture. Would seem to be more than coincidence.

Ralphw said:
I don't think its a welding tool . i do weld and have never seen anything like that... plus there is no sign of burning or spatter.

but I can see that tip as some sort electrical part or contact , part of a lightning rod or electrode?

ceramic electrode
Ignition_Electrode.jpg

lightning rod
90.04.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back