pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this bead right beside where I dug up the 1820 & 1837 token, just wondering if it's really old or something newer?

IMG_20150715_172753097.jpgIMG_20150715_172800373.jpgIMG_20150715_175742927.jpg

Doesn't look like an old bead to me. But I'm not an expert, that's just a guess.

Upvote 0
Just a hole on the one side?

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Doesn't look like an old bead to me. But I'm not an expert, that's just a guess.

The end throws me off making it look newer, but the colour makes it look old.

Upvote 0
Charlie, You have a good eye.

Upvote 0
Have research the bullet shot to see if it has round ends like this one, Carolina in Ontario got like how things get around.

Upvote 0
With a worm and less leader it would be a "Texas rig". Both are used in the Great Lakes with minnows for Walleye. That's just what they've come to be called now. Would just have been a "weedless rig" earlier. The rounded nose and hollow base help to keep it from getting stuck in rocks and weeds. And your item may have nothing to do with either. It is just one suitable amswer based on shape, size and composition.

TexasRigDG.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The weight for a Texas rigged worm is a bullet weight and the Carolina rig is normally with a sliding egg sinker. I have seen your item but can't remember where but it is modern not old.I think it was electrical or electronics something I tore apart to see how it worked as a kid? Is it magnetic itself, can it pick up metal?

Upvote 0
Yeah, well the Florida rigged slider rig was the inspiration for the Carolina rig which was stolen by the good folks over in Texas.

We catch bigger fish in Florida too.

Upvote 0
I too was thinking fishing related, but more along the lines of the reel winder/s as in this pic
reel.jpg

pepperj, are you sure it's Lead because it looks more like Brass in your pics?

Upvote 0
I too was thinking fishing related, but more along the lines of the reel winder/s as in this pic
View attachment 1188260

pepperj, are you sure it's Lead because it looks more like Brass in your pics?

Just enlarge the photo #3 and it's painted blue.

Upvote 0
The weight for a Texas rigged worm is a bullet weight and the Carolina rig is normally with a sliding egg sinker. I have seen your item but can't remember where but it is modern not old.I think it was electrical or electronics something I tore apart to see how it worked as a kid? Is it magnetic itself, can it pick up metal?

It's dead as lead. :)

Upvote 0
It could simply be a fishing weight that you crimp with pliers I have some similar, the blue paint throws me though, why paint if squeezing onto fishing line the paint would chip off so why paint? It would be like a non re-usable split shot style of weight.

Upvote 0
It looks machine-made and relatively modern to me Jim. :icon_scratch:
If it is a lead sinker, then why paint it blue... so the fish wouldn't be able to see it?

Aren't fish colour blind though? :laughing7:
Dave

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok I'm a believer now!:laughing7: Just found another piece that would tie the two find together. But why paint it blue-so it looks pretty-coats the lead? Probably just to charge more, as it's a hobby accessory. :)
View attachment 1189300

That is a keel weight.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back