Blue chert

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one site in my area ever produced this color material for me
Chert/Flint..also does not naturally occur in my part of the state of Florida.
In all my travels and online searches I've seen next to nothing of this color material.
The artifacts associated with it in my area were late archaic.
I would love to find it's source in my state.. and also find out if this color of Flint is actually as rare as it seems to me here.... and if I'm lucky Mabey find out what minerals cause this color as that may help me locate its source.
If not..... just post some blue if you care to since it happens to be my favorite color.... thanks and H.H.

ForumRunner_20130413_150802.png

ForumRunner_20130413_150948.png

ForumRunner_20130413_151130.png

Upvote 0
Thanks for that reply!
It makes sence especially with the Saint John's pottery being at that site... its nice to put trade material together with the trade route... in this case from the Rio de Ais north through the Banana River and into the St. John's.

ForumRunner_20130413_155548.png

Some blue cherts from the eastern midwest. Coshocton, Sonora, Flint Ridge, Ky. Blue , etc.

Attachments

• phpaciKlwPM.jpg
    phpaciKlwPM.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 192
  • phptHJ73bPM.jpg
    phptHJ73bPM.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 239
  • phpG9ZxYxAM.jpg
    phpG9ZxYxAM.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 226
Cool shades of blue!
Nice artifacts too... my God..that drill!

I havent found any blue here.

I havent found any blue here.

You have found about every other color in the rainbow though.... Mabey I should send you a few.

Same blue in baybottom chert and coral here in Tampa Bay. Seen that same bluish color also from specific patina/locations.

Same blue in baybottom chert and coral here in Tampa Bay. Seen that same bluish color also from specific patina/locations.

Ahhh.. I see ..said the blind man....
Thanks Tom... I hadn't even thought about "patina/location" you could be on to something there.
If you had to guess.. based on the photos do you think that's what it is?
Here is a couple more.. something interesting dripped on the side of one of these.

ForumRunner_20130414_194749.png

ForumRunner_20130414_195059.png

Hey Gator,
I know absolutely nothing about type of rock..I just always refer to it as flint because of my ignorance...but I thought it might assist in your quest for documenting blue-colored material in points in Florida. My dad found this point when I was a kid when we were playing in the surf. He thought it was a really big shark tooth and reached down in a foot or so of water and grabbed it from a pile of shells. It was probably in the late 80's. It is well-worn from the waves and sand, but I'd say it was blueish-gray and looks somewhat like the material in the pics above. 20130414_204820.jpg

"playing in the surf" :thumbsup:
That dark blue with white rind looks like the paleo and archaic material in my region bigtime. Especially if it's down on/in a blue/green paleo clay layer.
But Woodland had it too, I think mostly due to playing in the surf. It's much bluer in person and my hand isn't that pink, LOL

Hey Gator,
I know absolutely nothing about type of rock..I just always refer to it as flint because of my ignorance...but I thought it might assist in your quest for documenting blue-colored material in points in Florida. My dad found this point when I was a kid when we were playing in the surf. He thought it was a really big shark tooth and reached down in a foot or so of water and grabbed it from a pile of shells. It was probably in the late 80's. It is well-worn from the waves and sand, but I'd say it was blueish-gray and looks somewhat like the material in the pics above. View attachment 778173

thanks for posting that...I bet that was North Florida...mabey Jacksonville area? there is whole village sites under alot of water up that way.probably paleo sites all the way out by the continental shelf.

"playing in the surf" :thumbsup:
That dark blue with white rind looks like the paleo and archaic material in my region bigtime. Especially if it's down on/in a blue/green paleo clay layer.
But Woodland had it too, I think mostly due to playing in the surf. It's much bluer in person and my hand isn't that pink, LOL

that looks like the stuff... mine is more blue in person too.

I actually think it was the panhandle area...but I have slept many nights since then!

Some blue cherts from the eastern midwest. Coshocton, Sonora, Flint Ridge, Ky. Blue , etc.

37, I have a frame of points that my dad and I found years ago in VA. That show many of the colors you have posted. I'll get pics for you. Once again these were found in VA. On the NC. Line.

37, I have a frame of points that my dad and I found years ago in VA. That show many of the colors you have posted. I'll get pics for you. Once again these were found in VA. On the NC. Line.

image-1099677520.jpg

image-2299424001.jpg

image-2084765960.jpg

image-2388289358.jpg

image-2751323080.jpg

image-4223207803.jpg

image-2668780746.jpg

image-2355715732.jpg

image-454700174.jpg

image-3056612085.jpg

image-1078683494.jpg

image-798681274.jpg

image-4169813263.jpg

image-1952487660.jpg

image-1153866878.jpg

Only one Carolina or sky blue piece in the frame. I have a few more of this lithic somewhere around here.

Attachments

• image-572203907.jpg
    image-572203907.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back