Blades or projectiles?

Whynotnow?

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at these two points I started thinking maybe they would have been hafted and used as a blade or maybe a scraper, based on the shape. I don’t believe they were re-worked from old points but I’m no expert on that. Based on the curved shape to one edge I think they would have been blades rather than poorly constructed projectile points. Any thoughts? Anyone seen anything like this before?

Attachments

• IMG_6141.jpeg
    IMG_6141.jpeg
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6142.jpeg
    IMG_6142.jpeg
    658.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6143.jpeg
    IMG_6143.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6144.jpeg
    IMG_6144.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Upvote 8
The shape of the third pic especially though, just seems like it had to have been done on purpose.
Could have been used as a knife and sharpened down while in the haft until they couldn’t use it anymore then discarded. If chert was abundant they would just chip another

We have another system coming through today wind and rain. Drove past the creek this morning and it’s looking pretty good

We have another system coming through today wind and rain. Drove past the creek this morning and it’s looking pretty good
Yeah same here, the river behind my house is already the highest I've seen in a couple years with more rain coming this evening.

Could have been used as a knife and sharpened down while in the haft until they couldn’t use it anymore then discarded. If chert was abundant they would just chip another
I believe they used what was on hand at times. They may have started crafting a point, had a break but not enough time or material to start over and finished uneven to have a useful point.

Or maybe like gen z, as generations progressed, they had some lazy ones that didn’t finish their work properly and waited on others to make them new ones.

The shape of the third pic especially though, just seems like it had to have been done on purpose.
I had some given to me from TN that had the same shape. (Crudely) made. At 1.5 inches I’m sure they are points and not knifes. I missed the size in your post. Probably Late Woodland to Mississippian would be my guess

No. 1 is an unfinished preform in stage 2 or 3. A finished piece will have a thin straight edge. All the wavyness on that one says not nearly finished. I’d say it was discarded because it’s too small and thick to finish. With knapping, there is what is called the “lithic continuum”. Which means any piece at any stage could be used as a tool. Even though unfinished, the OPs piece could have been used as an expedient tool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back