🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Blacksmith forged... thing. What is it?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found at an 1860s farm site. Its 3" x 2/1/2" That's about all I can say about it.

RFGrH2L[1].jpg

Neat piece. Lot's of possibilities, someone here is likely to know for sure. In my imagination it could be anything from simply a hook to a clamp to draw one piece tight to the piece the tapered end is driven into. Bet that gave a good signal.

Upvote 2
Neat piece. Lot's of possibilities, someone here is likely to know for sure. In my imagination it could be anything from simply a hook to a clamp to draw one piece tight to the piece the tapered end is driven into. Bet that gave a good signal.
It would have, but it was a surface find.

Upvote 1
it has the typical tapered end to insert into an anvil hole. It would be used as a clamp holding a piece being worked on to the top of an anvil.

Upvote 2
it has the typical tapered end to insert into an anvil hole. It would be used as a clamp holding a piece being worked on to the top of an anvil.
A 3 inch anvil clamp? Seems like of small, doesn't it?

It is made of 1/2" square stock, by the way. The tapered end tapers down to 5/16".

Last edited:
Upvote 2
A 3 inch anvil clamp? Seems like of small, doesn't it?

It is made of 1/2" square stock, by the way. The tapered end tapers down to 5/16".
Ahh yes that does seem odd, cause it is in the exact shape I have seen for an anvil clamp before. But yes you are right that is too small for a normal anvil.

Upvote 0
A hook to hold a pot over a fire. The square end would be inserted into something sturdy and the curly end would hold the kettle?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back