Bison Parts

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Went hunting the other day on the river. This shows what else can be found beside arrowheads! Hard finding points on that river, so finding the bones breaks the monotony.

Below is a bison skull that has seen much better days. Was a very large Occidentalis at one time.

bison5.jpg

Here's another one, huge Occidentalis that is pretty deteoriated. I wish I had put something in the pic for you all to see the scale, is a large skull.

bison6.jpg

Below are a couple of deteriorated Skull cap partials (halves). The one with all of the "holes" is where the cap wore through. The other is a partial cup underwater.

bison4.jpg

bison2.jpg

Jawbone. There were several jawbones laying around and just about any other part you could think of (vertebraes, ribs, leg bones, etc, etc).

bison3.jpg

How many bones do you see in this pic? Look carefully..there are several.

bison1.jpg

Small bison calf skull underwater (upside down, per usual).

bison8.jpg

Here is the same Bison Calf skull cap out of the water.

bison.jpg

Here's a cool pic. You find these VERY rarely on the river. This is an old old cow skull. These are very odd and I've never seen cows like them today. The horns go straight out and then curve back in front..they have an incredibly long skull. Spaniard or early settler cow skull...oddities.

bison7.jpg

Upvote 0
bean man said:
Hi Matt,
Just wondering if you have a theory why that many buff bones in one area?
bm
they died ???

It was a crossing. This was on the Arkansas River, where we find alot of bones (Bison, Mastodon, Mammoth, etc). I'm sure the natives used the river itself for a natural trap as an easy way to acquire game. They would get bogged down in the sand and were easy to take advantage of. One fellow even found a Calf Creek point embedded in a bison skull there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back