JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detected in 107 degrees today on my 20acres of land. Found shotgun shells as always and not much else. Got overheated in about 2 hours as there is no shade in the area I was working. Quit and went back out at 6 was still extremely hot but was able to tolerate it. Dug more shotgun shells a few old pants buttons and pretty much after a couple hours was losing hope. So walked towards home half paying attention to my detector because I never find anything in that part of the property the metal detector is normally silent but suddenly got a huge signal that made me stop in my tracks. I'm thinking oh great another soda can. I dig and see shine and out pops a huge sterling spoon. My jaw drops as all m mir_20200906_203412.jpgmir_20200906_203515.jpgy years of detecting I barely started finding decent silver this year. Not sure why it was there or how it got there but I'm happy to have found it.20200906_203250.jpg20200906_203308.jpg

Upvote 31
The post is a little messed up apologies for the photos got somehow placed in front of the writing so scroll down the pictures to see it all.

Nice. I know the feeling. I got so dehydrated the last time I went detecting that I couldn't even think straight. I felt like crap the next day too.

Nice. I know the feeling. I got so dehydrated the last time I went detecting that I couldn't even think straight. I felt like crap the next day too.
I had to give up in the morning after those two hours my sweat was so bad it was blinding me. Also the whole field is infested with fox tails which were adding to the frustration. I felt fine but on the walk back I knew I was pushing it as I started to feel weak suddenly so I knew I needed to stop. It was worth it to come back later and make my best find after searching this property for years.

Congrats on the very cool Silver Spoon. Great find! Stay hydrated out there and good luck.

Congrats, That’s a nice very nice find, one that has eluded me. I’ve found many spoons but never one that was silver....

Congrats, That’s a nice very nice find, one that has eluded me. I’ve found many spoons but never one that was silver....
I wasn't expecting it at all. Was giving up coming back to the house. I find no reason the spoon would be there. I've done extensive research of the area I live on I have aerial photos going back to the 1940 and nothing was here and topographical maps show nothing back in 1910. Was a empty field up till my grandparents build a house on it 40 years ago and turned it to an almond orchard. Only thing I think was it was used to camp and hunt back when it was dense cotton woods that I see on old aerials. Also a irrigation ditch cuts through the back of the property I find stuff in the back of it it appears people buried their trash back there.

Also thanks I'm sure you'll find one. Took me like 7 years of metal detecting. Got my first silver ring, pendent, and now spoon this year.

Great save !!
W.K. VANDERSLICE - San Francisco, CA
Founded in 1860 by William Keyser Vanderslice in partnership with Charles H. Sherman. From 1868 he was in partnership with Lucius Thompson and from 1881 with Kenneth Melrose. The business was incorporated as W.K. Vanderslice & Co in 1897 and sold to Shreve & Co in 1908
Don......

Great save !!
W.K. VANDERSLICE - San Francisco, CA
Founded in 1860 by William Keyser Vanderslice in partnership with Charles H. Sherman. From 1868 he was in partnership with Lucius Thompson and from 1881 with Kenneth Melrose. The business was incorporated as W.K. Vanderslice & Co in 1897 and sold to Shreve & Co in 1908
Don......
Thank you, I appreciate the info

The spoon could have been lost when someone was picnicking who knows.When it's to hot to detect during the day sometimes I head out to the rest area on I/5 over here by Firebaugh and get a lot of change and have found gold and silver jewelry there, plus it's lit up that way I can still detect when it's not so hot as daytime and feel pretty safe doing night detecting.Pretty sure you have a rest area relatively close.

The spoon could have been lost when someone was picnicking who knows.When it's to hot to detect during the day sometimes I head out to the rest area on I/5 over here by Firebaugh and get a lot of change and have found gold and silver jewelry there, plus it's lit up that way I can still detect when it's not so hot as daytime and feel pretty safe doing night detecting.Pretty sure you have a rest area relatively close.
I'm out in the country in Atwater and don't drive so I've learned to make the best of the areas I live around. Lots of diving into old maps and aerial photos. Fortunately for me there are properties that had homes on them back in the end of the 1800s and very early 1900s. Only time I get to go out is if someone drives out somewhere and I go along. Fortunately I am able to tolerate heat and will be out and about when most people won't. Though still yes I know to be careful.

Nice find.

Respect the heat it's no joke, once you get heat injury you are more susceptible to it later.

Nice piece of silver.....

Awesome find Ive found enough silverware to feed a Army but not a silver one yet Sweet find

Awesome find Ive found enough silverware to feed a Army but not a silver one yet Sweet find
That's funny I checked out your profile curious of your finds and my finds are pitiful compared to mine. I've been going at said hobby for like 6 or 7 years and found no gold anything and this year got my first silver ring, pendant, and spoon. I've only found 2 silver dimes one Indian head penny a handful of wheats and many semi interesting relics. I was jealous of your numbers compared to mine lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back