🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Big square lock

Mr.Glum

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2024
Hello everyone!
I've posted this on antiquers as well, but it seems to be down.
My lock comes from a place where there was some other old things, but it could be a newer decoration piece for all I know. My grandma gave it a coat of paint and drilled holes in it to hang it up, someone said. Second hand info, though.

The key is very simple, as seen on pictures. It has to be turned 180 degrees clockwise, then it "hits" the lock mechanism. That pin you thread the key on is loose, and makes it a bit hard to unlock. You have to hold the key in the unlocked position while putting the bolt thingy back as well. Almost 6" by just over 6", a bit heavy, all sides are magnetic. It's rusty on the inside, I took the best pictures of that as I could. If it is a real lock, It must have seen some weather/moisture, as the edge on one side has corroded quite a bit.
In my humble opinion this would be used in a very low risk situation. I assume there would be a latch on the other side the bolt would hook into? Something like a box with horse tackle or oats, idk. There would be a lock on the barn door (Witch I had a look at, but left there because they where big and heavy), so a low grade lock inside the barn, maybe? There was a blacksmith there way back, is it home made? My image search provided way better looking locks in the same style, but didn't help me too much. It conserns me that the pins that hold the lock mechanism in place doesn't come out on the other side...

So what do you think? All replies are appreciated deeply, and thank you for reading.

Best Regards, Mr.Glum
(Oh, both parts has 4 notches, forgot to say in the original posting)
unnamed2.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1402.JPG
IMG_1403.JPG
IMG_1404.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you, Mud Hut! Sincerely.
So, is there a way to determine age and/or who made it?

I'm thinking that somewhere under that paint there is a makers name.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back