Dirty Digger Doug

Jul 17, 2020
Grand Rapids Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there used to be a house at the front of my property from about 1865 - 1950. I have found lots of stuff in the yard. Well since we don't have much of a winter here in Michigan I got the itch to go detect the old home site one more time. I went over a 9 on the nox 800 and followed it about four feet. Thought it was some old wire. Then it hit this. About broke myself in two trying to get this out of the ground. Thing weighs at least 60 pounds solid iron. Anyone know what this is?

IMG_20240131_142256064.jpg
IMG_20240131_142658693.jpg
IMG_20240131_151058550.jpg

Upvote 26
That's definitely some big iron! Feel like it looks familiar, but I have no idea what it is.

Nice that you have enough green ground to dig, not far north of you and we still have 4-6 in. of snow on the ground. Should be cleared out this week with warmer weather. No idea what that big iron is.. If your near the river could be something that was associated with past logging or barges on the Grand.

It reminds me of a debarking spud, but I've never seen one made entirely of iron. It's really cool, whatever it is!

So there used to be a house at the front of my property from about 1865 - 1950. I have found lots of stuff in the yard. Well since we don't have much of a winter here in Michigan I got the itch to go detect the old home site one more time. I went over a 9 on the nox 800 and followed it about four feet. Thought it was some old wire. Then it hit this. About broke myself in two trying to get this out of the ground. Thing weighs at least 60 pounds solid iron. Anyone know what this is?

View attachment 2128815View attachment 2128816View attachment 2128817
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

I have something similar, I always called it a bush axe, maybe the landowner had been chopping down some of the shrubs and forgot it outside and it got lost.

I go with a railroad tool too. You know a lot of William Tecumseh Sherman's boys tore up miles and miles of our railroad tracks in the South in 1864 prying up the tracks and heating the iron rails on fires and twisting the heated iron tracks around trees creating what was to become known as a "Sherman Bow Tie". I wonder if this could be a prying tool to remove or replace old railroad track? Just a thought. Nice find.

That's crazy. I'll be interested to see what it turns out to be.

I go with a railroad tool too. You know a lot of William Tecumseh Sherman's boys tore up miles and miles of our railroad tracks in the South in 1864 prying up the tracks and heating the iron rails on fires and twisting the heated iron tracks around trees creating what was to become known as a "Sherman Bow Tie". I wonder if this could be a prying tool to remove or replace old railroad track? Just a thought. Nice find.
I was reading about destroying rails in the civil war. The rails that were heated and wrapped around a tree were fixable by the confederates. Heat and bend back straight. A Union officer then figured out how to destroy them permanently by not bending but by heating and then twisting them. Possibly a tool for doing that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back