Picture 012.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 409
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 398
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 398
Can't offer much help other that that gauge is regulated awfully high (150 pounds) for a heating system type boiler. I'm assuming (since there's no pic) there's a pipe fitting on the back or underneath side to plumb it into the system?

I also think American Gauge is still in business.

Smitty

Upvote 0
Another interesting item Mojjax! I'm as curious as Smitty as to what the back looks like. I think the valve you've shown on the bottom of it is just a bleeder valve. Regardless, I'm inclined to agree with your idea of this being off an old ship. But I've never had my hands on anything quite like it.

Upvote 0
There is a paperback book called "Antique American Steam Gauges: A Collector's Guide" by Barry L. David. Barnes & Noble has it, or perhaps you can find one in a library. I agree 150 PSI seems too high for heating, could be from a stationary engine or big ship.

Chip V.

Upvote 0
Here's a somewhat similar brass test gauge, from Battleship No. 48, West Virginia, made by American Steam Gauge & Valve Manufacturing Co., Boston, Recovered by the military dive team 1941.
http://content.liveauctioneers.com/item/4353361

I believe the American Steam Gauge Co. is no more, having been purchased or merged with another company; just a belief.
Don......

Upvote 0
IndianaSmith said:
Can't offer much help other that that gauge is regulated awfully high (150 pounds) for a heating system type boiler. I'm assuming (since there's no pic) there's a pipe fitting on the back or underneath side to plumb it into the system?
Here's a picture of the back . The only fitting is the small threaded nipple on the bottom .

Attachments

• Picture 002 (2).jpg
    Picture 002 (2).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 328
Upvote 0
Being around steam locomotives and doing restorations - I can confirm that the gauge is a steam pressure gauge. Question is - what is it off of. Depending upon where you found it - it could be off of an early locomotive or a steam farm tractor. It could also have been off of a stationary boiler but I doubt it. Can you provide more information of where it was you found it?

YOGI!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back