Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this was a Canadian bank token but then I noticed the bust and cant find this variety if it is. I can make out somebody standing on the back but i cant get a good pic of it. Its hard too see holding it in my hand. I put a pic with the token/coin next to 2 large cents for scale. Thanks in advance for any help. It weighs 11.9 grams

Attachments

• Picture 640.jpg
    Picture 640.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 336
  • Picture 645.jpg
    Picture 645.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 329
  • Picture 640.jpg
    Picture 640.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Picture 657.jpg
    Picture 657.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 233
  • Picture 658.jpg
    Picture 658.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Picture 659.jpg
    Picture 659.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 225
Re: Big copper

It would probably help quite a bit if you can post a pic of the other side even if there is very little detail. Don't have to see it all, just the style of the figure. My first and only thought on this so far was not a match so I'm at a dead end right now. Is it a thick or thin coin?

Upvote 0

Exact size measurement and weight would be helpful, too.

Man, that's a big sucker...

DCMatt

Upvote 0

french * napolean III emperor of france coin (centimes) -- they came in varous sizes worth differant amounts.

Upvote 0

ivan salis said:
french * napolean III emperor of france coin (centimes) -- they came in varous sizes worth differant amounts.

Picture? He faces the other direction on the coins I'm familiar with.

Upvote 0

he is facing wrong way to be emperor napolean III of france but the image does look a lot like him -- irons right --- darn it

Upvote 0

Iron Patch said:
ivan salis said:

Thanks quite funny, my first thoughts were French as I know its not British. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
ivan salis said:

Thanks quite funny, my first thoughts were French as I know its not British. :dontknow:

My first thought was William penny (then French) but the bust doesn't match. It could very well be French but doesn't jump out at me, although I pay very little attention to 19th century French coins.

Upvote 0

at least I can admit when I'm wrong -- lots of folks either can not or will not do so. -- oh well back to thinking ----about it.

Upvote 0

ivan salis said:
at least I can admit when I'm wrong -- lots of folks either can not or will not do so. -- oh well back to thinking ----about it.

I wouldn't feel bad about that because seeing the pointy chin one of the first things I checked was the coin you mentioned.

Upvote 0

sure the image was not "flipped" -- reversed? by posting ---humm

Upvote 0

Hi all.I just thought I would add that I found an 1837 Canadian "one Penny" at the same site.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0
OK changed my mind, might be British Penny of William IV circa 1831 but should be 18grm (maybe lost this much weight :dontknow: )
Is it 34mm?

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
OK changed my mind, might be British Penny of William IV circa 1831 but should be 18grm (maybe lost this much weight :dontknow: )
Is it 34mm? No its 1 1/4 in = 31.750063500127mm :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Is it 34mm?

The top of his head is what stopped me from thinking William, but that could possibly be just an effect of the ground action. It did strike me as a William the second I seen it.

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Is it 34mm? The back of the coin is an exact match of the British penny of William IV circa 1831. The bust is also very similar.

Upvote 0
sscindercoop said:
CRUSADER said:
Is it 34mm? The back of the coin is an exact match of the British penny of William IV circa 1831. The bust is also very similar.

I've never known of a imitation of this type, but you may have one as its slightly under weight & size :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back