Big colonial button (pic)

jonw440

May 26, 2004
Central,MA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, M6, Classic ID
I found this near an old cellar hole this morning.
Can someone date it?
Its about the size of a half dollar.
IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

Upvote 0
Jon........just an educated guess based from finding the same size buttons..........1775 to 1800, but I'd say close to the 1775 mark. When ya find a coin or two from that era, it will put you in the appropriate time frame...............Rich

Thanks guys. Yes a coin or two would help date the site.
Its an old cellar hole with LOTS of trash. Dug up 7 shotgun shells(paper type),pull tabs,old sewing bobbins, but no coins...yet

I've found several like that this year. I posted mine and they were also ID'ed as late 1700's-1800. This made more sense to me later when I found a few other objects at the site from the same time period. That's a nice button. Keep hitting that site and maybe a few coins from that era will turn up. Good luck.

This is a "dadndy button" (large sized flat button). Nice find. I think this site of yours is certainly a Thing To Watch Out For On Treasurenet!

Cheers,

Buckleboy

First off Jonw440 welcome to Tnet. You certainly picked a great place with a super group of great peps.

You came here with a bang as well. That is one great find on that button. I hope you great luck and look forward to your future finds.

Rev

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I had joined years ago but lost my username and changed emails so I am starting over.
I have upgraded to the DFX from a Classic ID.
Since upgrading to the DFX I have found a 17x6 copper (cant make out third digit),musket balls,2 cent piece , 1 cent piece,2 v nickles, many bottons, my first walking liberty half, another unrecognizable copper 15 IH and a LOT of junk!

Here are a few more of my finds.
Will be sticking around and upgrading my finds.
Jon
IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg

Over here the Dandy buttons date to 1750-1780

Hey Jon, really nice button. All of the "dandy buttons" seem to date from the last quarter of the 18th century. After that they went to different styles....Congrats...Lance

Good looking Button can't wait to see the coins you pull from that site, and they will come be patient clean up the garbage and bingo.....TnT

hmm nice button. Well I was finding buttons like that in an area where I pulled 1723 2 reale and many 1700's Large cents. I think 1700's definitely! Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back