Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I have a feeling that someone will know what this is. The bottom of it is threaded and the top...well, it looks like a paper towel holder (of course that's not it). Brass's patina is consistent with the other mid-1800s items from the same field.

Any ideas?

7-001.jpg

8-001.jpg

9-001.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Last edited:
It looks like the top of a Vintage Crowed Control Stanchion for Rope. Just drop the eye of the rope over the top.
I am all most sure of it.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

Upvote 0
The only thing that came to mind for me was twine/string dispenser.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
One end of maybe something lie a curtain rod??

Upvote 0
How about the top of a tent pole? The spindle fits through a grommet.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
It looks like the top of a Vintage Crowed Control Stanchion for Rope. Just drop the eye of the rope over the top.
I am all most sure of it.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

So, were these used on boats? This item was meant to take some serious stress or force. The bottom is threaded for attachment onto something, and the piece weighs a good bit.

Upvote 0
It must be bigger than I think. Can you post a pic of it next to a soda can or something of more similar relative size?

Can we assume this find is farm or household related?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
So, were these used on boats? This item was meant to take some serious stress or force. The bottom is threaded for attachment onto something, and the piece weighs a good bit.

I saw a pair of these very much like the one you have in a Maritime shop in West Palm Beach Fl. a few years back.
Sorry I did not ask them where they would have been used, I just assumed they were on a Ship.
I never thought I would see another one.
The pair they had the hole looked to be about 1 1/2 inch.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

Upvote 0
The size is 3 1/4 inches in diameter, and 3 1/2 inches tall. The threaded hole is 1.25 inches in diameter. Boats would make sense in the area I am digging. Many fields I find lead flashing or copper/bronze nails associated with boat building. Is there a modern equivalent of this piece that anyone can find? I have searched, but came up with nada. :(

Upvote 0
Excellent guess, Montauk... I don't know if the underside of those large tompions were threaded or not. Don't see why they'd need to be. The Crowned Control Stanchion makes the most sense so far...but I've had no luck finding a photo of one. :(

Upvote 0
So far I have drawn a Blank, I can not even remember the name of the store in Palm beach.
I have not give up yet.
Kevin

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back