Big Brass Banger and Whatnots...

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beautiful day called for a few hours of detecting on my favorite wooded hillside meadow. I dug this big, brass item after stopping the bleeding from my ears. It rang out a 97 on the ATPro, and was about three inches below the surface. I have no idea what it was used for, but it is about 5 1/2" long, 3 1/2' wide, 1/4" thick, and weighs in at 1.5 pounds! I found the number "5" on one side of the screw end and a "M" or "W" or "3" on the other side. I also found the "Ace" bandage clip, an iron buckle, some old .22 caliber bullets, old pistol and musket balls, and a 10 gauge shotgun casing marked, "1901/No. 10/Repeater." Any help with positive identification on the brass item is greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking, happy hunting to all. Sub 8-)

Attachments

• Copperplate.jpg 001.jpg
    Copperplate.jpg 001.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Copperplate.jpg 004.jpg
    Copperplate.jpg 004.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Copperplate.jpg 005.jpg
    Copperplate.jpg 005.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Copperplate.jpg 007.jpg
    Copperplate.jpg 007.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Copperplate.jpg 003.jpg
    Copperplate.jpg 003.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Copperplate.jpg 002.jpg
    Copperplate.jpg 002.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think your big brass item may be a grounding plate for lightning rods. But I may be wrong..... I was wrong once before.:laughing7:
ZDD

Mash paddle?

View attachment 858364

Nice find! I'm sure your ears will stop ringing in a few weeks!

I think you are on to something here...I was hunting in the middle of "moonshine country.!" Maybe someone else has experience with distilling relics? Thanks, Sub 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back