Attachments

• Metal Detecting Finds 2007 140b.jpg
    Metal Detecting Finds 2007 140b.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 679
  • Metal Detecting Finds 2007 147b.jpg
    Metal Detecting Finds 2007 147b.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 674
Upvote 0
I found one a few weeks ago...but doesn't look NEARLY as sweeeeeeeeeeet as yours! :o WTG!! ;D

Was it on a hillside where the water couldn't settle on it? I've found some nice coins that way...on the flat areas they can be pretty corroded....cow pasture coppers are down right pitted and ugly! :P

Great find...thanks for sharing!
Hank 8)

Congrats, that's one GREAT find!

Nat

Yarrum said:
She's a beauty mate, I missed the first post.
What did you use to clean it up??

Ditto, I got one this spring, it looks like it has great detail(I can see feathers on the entire body), but it's REALLY cruddy.

Yarrum said:
She's a beauty mate, I missed the first post.
What did you use to clean it up??

I use a method that will drive true coin collectors crazy, but it works really well. Since I never want to sell any of my finds, I just want to have them look nice in displays. You can use a couple of methods. For light grunge on them, put them in hydrogen peroxide for a little while and then use a soft brass brush under water. If there is a heavy grunge use a combination of olive oil and liquid dish detergent and the soft brass brush in a circular motion, then wash the coin off with hot water and liquid dishwashing detergent. Dry and put on a coat of furniture paste wax. Buff with a soft toothbrush. This works great for copper coins. DO NOT USE THIS ON SILVER!!! Also, I would suggest not doing this on any valuable or rare copper. The soft brass brush will not scratch a copper coin, since it is softer than the copper. If you have one of those delicate patina's on the coin in which that is the only detail, do not use this method. I only use it when the detail is still on the coin and not in the patina. Practice on some wheat cents first.. Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back