Better pics of the old map

Quite possibly from an Atlas. Does not mean it has no value. Have it looked at Some bring big $$$$

Upvote 0
Very cool. Definitely Rome but the inscription 'M.D. LXX"is a bit puzzling. Ceaser lived 100BC to 44BC so it's probably not in reference to him. Could be referring to the old testament 'The Septuagint'. Have you translated it yet?

Rivers and islands don't move much. Here's another map showing Tiber Island and the Tiber River. It also show you map orientation isn't north. Notice also the Forum:

Rome_in_350.jpg

Upvote 0
The Latin basically says "the City of Rome showing remains of old monuments".

DCMatt

Upvote 0
jtw, i want to shop where you shop
adding to DCmatt info

Urbis Romae Situs cum ils quae adhuc Conspiciuntur Veter. Monumet Reliquiis Pyrrho Ligorio Neap. Invent. Romae M.D.LXX - Braun & Hogenberg, 1575-1612.

Old map - bird's-eye view of ancient Rome by Braun and Hogenberg. Engraving reprinted from Urbis Romae totius olim orbis domitricis situs ... P. Ligorio Inventor. Pirro Ligorio first published the map in Rome in 1552, then in a smaller format in 1553. His plate, made in 1570, was printed unchanged by Braun & Hogenberg; it was reprinted several times during the 17th and 18th centuries, including in David Köhler's Descriptio orbis antiqui, published in Nuremberg by Christoph Weigel c. 1720.
credit
Old, antique map of Roma by Braun & Hogenberg | Sanderus Antique Maps

more about BRAUN & HOGENBERG
Rare book - city atlas by Braun and Hogenberg | Sanderus Antique Maps

Upvote 0
Just saw the Sanderus map page. 700 euros! Holy crap! Get your coffee cup off that map and get it to an expert to see if it is the real deal!

Upvote 0
Cw0909 lol it's not where I shop it's knowing what to look for it took me years to learn and now I'm getting it

Upvote 0
Nhbenz it's not a modern reprint I'm 100 percent sure

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info guys I will keep you posted

Upvote 0
It's put on to a board if you look close at the second pic you can see the line where it was folded at one time the paper under the loop has hair line cracks and has sort of a leather look magnified on a angle you know like the lines you see on a leather jacket

Upvote 0
Then map has great possibility of being on Vellum... (Vellum = animal skin that is similar to parchment and that is used as medium for writing, book printing, and book binding)
If that map is a real map printed on vellum... from that period...
you are looking at some BIG bucks man.
This would be a GREAT interest amongst map collectors...
I being one... know firsthand.

Upvote 0
Just for grins... What is the size?

I saw several of these at Old Maps.com that were sold at auction in last decade or so. They were all roughly 15 X 20. About half of them were not colored. Others were hand colored as yours appears to be.

All of them sold in $1,000 US range.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
That's the size 15by20 this map may be a lil more important though from what I've read thanks for the help dc you always have great info

Last edited:
Upvote 0

......m30

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like I said in PM's smell ?
It has a distinctive smell all its own...
Strange sweetish smell...
Looks right but I cannot "blow up" these new pics...
looks like stone litho line in far left pic from these small pics.

Upvote 0
Yeah that's what it smells like a sweet musty smell I wrote it in pm

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back