Best Week Ever Continues! I Found My SECOND Copper Culture Sawtooth Spear Point Today!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta be the luckiest guy swinging a detector out there. I didn't think I could do better than the gold ring I found a few days ago, but I did. After finding a copper culture spear earlier this year, I thought that would be a once in a lifetime find. Well I was wrong and lightning struck for a second time today! Woo-hoo!

Went out this morning to a new to me park with a lake about 25 minutes from home. Old maps showed a few home sites from the turn of century that had been torn down in the 1950s. Not much going on for the first hour. Started to make my way to where the houses were. I was walking along this ridge when I got a very nice tone about a foot and a half off the path.

I was hoping for a half dollar. The signal was a very solid 34 to 36 on the Nox 800 at 3 bars deep. Cut myself a big plug as not to damage my imaginary half dollar. No more than 5 inches down I see it at the bottom and immediately grab My SECOND COPPER CULTURE SAWTOOTH SPEAR! I called my buddy over and he was just as shocked as I was. I filled a glove with dirt and placed the point inside so it wouldn't dry out before I could clean it. I guess that hiking path is several thousand years old and not 100 years old like I initially thought.

I still can't believe it. The museum dated my other one at 3,000 to 5,000 years old. This one has the same tang so I'm assuming it's in the same date range. This point is just about 10cm long and weighs 46 grams.

I gently used a plastic brush to get some of the wet dirt off and here are the results. I didn't want to be to rough with it. We'll see how it looks after it dries up a bit. Have a look-see. There will be more return trips to that park in the future I guarantee that!

20231227_093752.jpg

20231227_094554.jpg

20231227_094600.jpg

20231227_100615.jpg

20231227_174552.jpg

20231227_174605.jpg

20231227_174638.jpg

20231227_174726.jpg

20231227_174741.jpg

20231227_182057.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Good luck out there.
Happy Hunting!

Upvote 43
Thanks everyone. I'm truly fortunate to live where I can find these artifacts. It's about 2.5 hours drive between where they were each found. For some reason my multi quote isn't working but thank you for your responses Tnmountains mindcrime1988 BennyV ironhorse RVRoamer73 and tamrock

Thanks a bunch pepper! Yet again in the woods off a trail. Nothing but junk right?
I was talking with my new permission and he was telling me about the trails/routes that were used by the natives.
Then again it's just more trash to drag home. 😆

What the heck are you doing over there on the other side of Lake Mi.! L.o.l..

Just because of shape .......have you seen turkey tail lithics?

fetch
Ha I'm not sure, the same thing I always do I guess. I feel it's purely dumb luck at this point.

I'm so unfamiliar with lithics but I am interested in finding more. They sure do look similar. Possibly one influenced the other? Very nice looking points there.

Great find.
You are on a roll dude. Keep going.
Congratulations
Thanks dognose! I'll keep going as long as the snow holds off and the ground doesn't freeze.

I was talking with my new permission and he was telling me about the trails/routes that were used by the natives.
Then again it's just more trash to drag home. 😆
Now I have to look at these trails like ancient roadways and not just regular paths.

Sounds like something my wife would say lol.

Ha I'm not sure, the same thing I always do I guess. I feel it's purely dumb luck at this point.

I'm so unfamiliar with lithics but I am interested in finding more. They sure do look similar. Possibly one influenced the other? Very nice looking points there.
Ooops. Congrats!

Not my points pictured.
But yes , seems same school of design.
Old Copper Copper Culture , more so thier relics , did travel!
Then came the Red Ocher Culture.

This article hints of a younger culture following an older one.
Not unlike the path you hunted near...

Ooops. Congrats!

Not my points pictured.
But yes , seems same school of design.
Old Copper Copper Culture , more so thier relics , did travel!
Then came the Red Ocher Culture.

This article hints of a younger culture following an older one.
Not unlike the path you hunted near...
Still very cool points, and something i would love to find. Thanks for the history lesson!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back