Best satellite map apps?

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
So I spend a lot of time looking at Google Earth not only to find good locations to relic hunt but also to train my eyes to subtle features on the ground. It's a brilliant app and it's very helpful but I wonder if anyone knows of a better FREE cell app for satellite maps? Google Earth has a few limitations in terms of fine resolution and distortion in some cases. Any suggestions as to a better sat map app or is ol Google Earth the best?

So I spend a lot of time looking at Google Earth not only to find good locations to relic hunt but also to train my eyes to subtle features on the ground. It's a brilliant app and it's very helpful but I wonder if anyone knows of a better FREE cell app for satellite maps? Google Earth has a few limitations in terms of fine resolution and distortion in some cases. Any suggestions as to a better sat map app or is ol Google Earth the best?
Sometimes Bing Maps have better clarity. Also in GE, you can slide the timeline back and many times find a better image based on the time of year and lighting.

The real useful tools cost $$. Being able to georeference old maps, utilize LIDAR data to find old trails, mines, basements, ect.
They are leaps and bounds more useful than just GE. Global Mapper and ArcGIS Pro come to mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back