Best Coin Value Website?

Thanks for the feedback. A rare coin's value, depending on condition, may far exceed its silver or gold smelting value. Is there a website that I can check a coin's numismatic value?

Don't use a website Whitman has created many coin books. For $10 you can get this book and find all of your coins plus many more!

Attachments

• image-1215473221.jpg
    image-1215473221.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 111
This is what I asked for. I'll order the book. However, I was hoping this information would also be available online. If the websites mentioned by Don and IP have a search feature to find a coin's current numismatic value, I could not find them. However, they do have very useful information on coin auctions and smelting prices. Thanks again.

This is what I asked for. I'll order the book. However, I was hoping this information would also be available online. If the websites mentioned by Don and IP have a search feature to find a coin's current numismatic value, I could not find them. However, they do have very useful information on coin auctions and smelting prices. Thanks again.

I buy and sell a lot of coins and have a whole shelf of coin books I can reach right from my computer chair... but I still use the internet to ID or price things.

Don't you have coin fairs in th US.................

SS

SS
Yes, we have Coin Shows (or Expos).
Here's one of the best in my area:
Long Beach Expo - Coin, Stamp & Sports Collectible Expo
(Free appraisals are also given by experts.)
Don...
Thanks Don....I realise a lot of people buy and sell coins of eBay, I sell a few myself, but I don't believe it's the best place for rarer items. One of the hardest things is to find a true value of what a coin is worth, it takes a lot of searching if you don't want to get ripped off. This is why I mentioned the coin fair, you get to see what's on offer, and fetching the big money, and what condition they need to be. I don't price my coins via the books either, they are just a guide and the value can be considribley higher.

SS

Thanks for all the replies. Ebay and other coin auctions are a good source for coin values if your 'subject coin' has been recently sold. However, I didn't see a page on any auction site offering a guide of current numismatic US coin values. In other words, a source similar to "Bluebook values" for used cars vs. a repo auction as a starting point. If a silver coin is only worth the silver, this guide would tell me right away. So, either this type of website is out there or its not. My impression is the only source to find a complete list of numismatic US coin values is in book form.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Ebay and other coin auctions are a good source for coin values if your 'subject coin' has been recently sold. However, I didn't see a page on any auction site offering a guide of current numismatic US coin values. In other words, a source similar to "Bluebook values" for used cars vs. a repo auction as a starting point. If a silver coin is only worth the silver, this guide would tell me right away. So, either this type of website is out there or its not. My impression is the only source to find a complete list of numismatic US coin values is in book form.

For items that low in value I agree with you. People don't tend to sell coins on ebay when the shipping cost more than the item.

Reailized auction prices are your best references....coins are only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Also need to realize that condition is everything. May as well pick up a few reference books on coin grading too

when I find a coin I think might be of value I simply google it. one of the first few hits will be a site called coin trackers or something that has info and will give you some idea of what it's worth.

Maybe your question should read "Best Actual Coin Values Website". The prices are based on many factors and condition is only one . Ones taken from the last highest auction prices can be misleading because auctions can go either way . IMHO , Woodstock

I use the site at the link below as it more follows daily trends but at times it can be low on some values when compared to real time values based on sales. It is the Official Price Guide for NGC and the Collector's Society. I also use eBay and PCGS's Price Guide to get an overall picture of the values for coins and since I sell a lot of coins, they all come in handy. Just remember that the PCGS price guide is mainly for PCGS holdered (slabbed), certified and graded coins not raw coins.

NumisMedia Online FMV Rare Coin Price Guide Index - Retail Fair Market Value Prices for U.S. Rare Coins - Numismatic Values - the Official Price Guide of NGC and the Collectors Society

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back