Best Bet and MMSF

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been working in Big Pine Creek in Warren Co. IN. With the help of everyone here I have found a small amount of flour gold, with a lot of work. I’m not opposed to the hard work but I can’t seem to locate a concentration in any particular spot. Is it fair to say this should be possible? The area has had a new bridge recently constructed upstream from where I’ve been working. Today I actually found a area with shale exposed in knee high slow water. I started classifying material just above this shale level, downstream of a large rock and running it through a fluid bed sluice. Two hours of shovel work by myself netted me about a dozen pieces of flour. I have found digging deep enough just about anywhere in the creek( fast and slow water, from the bank to the center of the creek) has produced some specs. When I return I have to think I should continue my work in this shale bottom area as the gold can’t go any deeper. The exposed shale is in a 12’ x 60’ slow water pool with the bank on one side and a gravel bar/island between it and the faster water on the other side of the island. The overburden in the pool is from 0 to about 1-1/2’ deep. Do you think this is my best bet? Also planning at least a two day trip to MMSF in Indiana, with the proper work ( and a little luck) can I expect to find anything better than flour gold there?

Upvote 0
russau said:
from what ive seen, the people in our club have done better at MMSF

Remember panning only at MMSF NO sluicing allowed!
Your results are pretty typical for streams in Indiana.

Not saying you will never find a concentration of flakes, it's just that stream concentrations of any note are harder to find in Indiana.

Well Hunter I see your pretty much getting the typical results I was out two days in a row the week before last I sluiced around twenty five gallons of material between two sites I've been working I've got nothing but false bedrock (clay) to work down to and my total take for those two days was 65 pieces of gold in total,most of which was flour and just a few flecks.
Went out Wednesday ran about 14 gallons through the sluice and just got done panning it and really don't know what my count is on it yet but yes it seems spotty here with no real sign of any streaks but I find something on every trip so I guess I'm going to have to be happy with what I get for my toils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back