Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all!!

I am curious about these bent-up whatsits from my last couple hunts. They're either copper or brass, found separately. All came from NC farm sites, one site is 1845 and the other is earlier still. Any guesses what they might be?? I'm particularly interested in the rectangle bar thing, as it came from my own farm in a spot where I've found some nice older relics. The last pic is for size reference (penny on the left)

Thanks in advance!! Any input is greatly appreciated :D

UPDATE: One down, pretty sure mojjax nailed the toothy thing in the last pic as part of a curry comb. Thanks!

UPDATE II:
Thanks for all the awesome ID's, everyone!! I'm pretty sure we've nailed down everything (at least to my level of satisfaction) EXCEPT the first one. The one I was really hoping to ID! LOL. Thanks again for all your help!!! It does bear a striking resemblance to a military rank bar (to this civilian), I just haven't found any matches online yet.

Attachments

• whatsit1.JPG
    whatsit1.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 443
  • stuff labeled.JPG
    stuff labeled.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 266
Re: 3 bent-up whatsits, maybe you can help?

I'm thinking the thing with teeth is part of a curry comb :dontknow:

Upvote 0

mojjax said:
It sure looks like it :icon_thumright: if they were made in brass.

Attachments

• horse curry comb old.jpg
    horse curry comb old.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 430
Upvote 0

mojjax said:

Excellent ID! I think that's it!! And now that you mention it, I can see where it would have bent into thirds so the teeth were pointing the same way. One down, two to go. THANKS!

Upvote 0
Re: 2 bent-up whatsits, maybe you can help?

one looks like military type sew on LT bars

Upvote 0

ivan salis said:
one looks like military type sew on LT bars

That would be cool! I'll have to check that out and see if I can come up with a match. Thanks! Anyone else think it might be?

Upvote 0

The piece with the scallops looks like what is left of a Victorian brooch. Nice finds, Breezie

Upvote 0

Nice finds! Is that center left item a "merry widows" condom tin?
Bunker

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the awesome ID's, everyone!! I'm pretty sure we've nailed down everything (at least to my level of satisfaction) EXCEPT the first one. The one I was really hoping to ID! LOL. Thanks again for all your help!!! It does bear a striking resemblance to a military rank bar (to this civilian), I just haven't found any matches online yet.

Upvote 0
creskol said:
I think it might be the name bar off of a ladder badge/medal similar to my reconstruction below.

I agree, but may just be a name badge. They were in common usage in factory and other work areas in the past.

Upvote 0
ah * think maybe its a ribbon piece to to go with the womans brooch item * were the two items found close by one another ?-- and a if thats a three widows condom tin --maybe some hanky pankie cause the pin to be removed or lost during said fun. --the items could thus be "related" time wize

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure the blue enamel/gold colored metal pin in the "junkers" category is a Girl Scout WAGGGS pin. I can't tell if it's the old or new style from the pix though - hard to see it clearly.
Tigger

Upvote 0
Tigger said:
I'm pretty sure the blue enamel/gold colored metal pin in the "junkers" category is a Girl Scout WAGGGS pin. I can't tell if it's the old or new style from the pix though - hard to see it clearly.
Tigger

images
The World Trefoil Pin Shows that you are part of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS). All Girl Scouts age-levels (Daisy, Brownie, Junior, Girls 11-17, and Adult Girl Scouts) wear this pin on the left side of the uniform directly above the Membership Pin on the Insignia Tab. On it are three leaves representing the Girl Scout Promise, with a flame that stands for loving all the people in the world. The compass needle is to guide you, and the two stars are the Girl Scout Promise and Law. The outer circle represents the World Association, and the golden yellow trefoil on a bright blue background stands for the sun shining over the children of the world.

Maybe the said "fun" involved a girl scout.. lol

and this other piece you got 3 pictures of .. is that copper

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back