image-4250852853.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 172
  • image-3495728746.jpg
    image-3495728746.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 148
  • image-604807187.jpg
    image-604807187.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 171
Yup. Looks like a belt buckle. I've seen them on here and other places on the net before. I think it might be military. Possibly civil war era. I'm not an expert though. Someone will jump in here that has seen one of these before and knows what it is.

Upvote 0
Stikman wrote:
> I marked this as solved because I have no idea what I'm doing.

No need to try to undo the mistake, because here is your find's very-exact ID.

It is indeed a belt buckle... specifically, a US Army sword-belt buckle, Regulation 1851 Pattern. Your specimen, like most excavated ones, is missing the stamped nickel-silver wreath which was applied to the buckle's front just below (and partially surrounding) the spread-winged eagle.

Although your buckle's wreath is missing, your photo shows there's no provision for the wreath to extend across the eagle's wingtips. Therefore, your buckle dates from sometime between 1861 and 1873. (In 1874 the buckle's design was changed and thus was known as the 1874 Pattern.

The buckle's width was enlarged in 1864, so we need to know your find's very-precise width measurement to know whether it dates from 1861-63 or 1864-73.

Your buckle shows no sign of gold-gilting, so it was made for Enlisted-men's use. (The Officer's version was gold-gilted.)

The small shallow round dimple in your solid-cast brass buckle's back means it was also die-stamped to create "crisper" detail in the emblem on its front.

The small numbers on the back are the manufacturer's "benchmark" number. Similar numbers are occasionally seen on other examples of sword-belt buckles. Unfortunately, it is definitely not an army regiment number.

UPDATE: I did some additional research for you, to narrow down your sword-belt buckle's date range. On the great majority of these 1851-Pattern buckles, the emblem either has no "rays" at all, or the "rays" are only above the eagle. Note that on your specimen, the eagle is entirely surrounded by "rays." That version was only manufactured between December 1863 and 1865.

Attachments

• buckle_eagle-sword-belt_US-Army-1851-Pattern_1861-to-1873_photobyRelicman.jpg
    buckle_eagle-sword-belt_US-Army-1851-Pattern_1861-to-1873_photobyRelicman.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That was more of an answer than anyone could have ever asked for. Thanks for taking the time for replying to my post. I feel lucky to have found it, and will forever wonder how it ended up in a lawn in N.E. Kansas. Hopefully it won't be long before I'm able to post again.

Upvote 0
You wondered about how your buckle got to where you dug it:
Because your "rays entirely surrounding the eagle" version is one of the few varieties of US Army 1851-Pattern sword-belt buckle that we can be 100% certain was manufactured ONLY during the civil war years, the most probable answer to your question is civil war military activity in Kansas. The yankee army stationed cavalry troops in that state throughout the entire war, due to Confederate cavalry guerilla raids.

Therefore, I urge you to hunt that lawn very thoroughly. (Of course, be very careul not to tear up the lawn, angering the howeowner, unless he is you.) The odds tend to favor your buckle being not the one-&-only civil war relic in that lawn, or in the nearby vicinity. Please give us a report after several more hunts.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back