BELT BUCKEL HELP~!

SuperDiscO

Nov 20, 2014
Hudson Valley Ny
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found in a second hand shope, not with detector but when found in store it looked as if it was buried or in water. i cleaned it up alot. noon can tell me what it might be or if its a personal buckle somne just melted metal onto. please take a look and let me know what you guys and gals think. thanks so much

DSC07239.JPGDSC07284.JPGDSC07263.JPGDSC07262.JPGDSC07258.JPGDSC07250.JPGDSC07245.JPGDSC07243.JPGDSC07242.JPGDSC07287.JPG

There are no decerinble markings on it at all. other then on the middle bar. whats looks to be machined engraved block lettering very thing 25-"_ _ _ _ _ " unknow letters kinda looks like BROWN but unsure
Found in a second hand shope, not with detector but when found in store it looked as if it was buried or in water. i cleaned it up alot. noon can tell me what it might be or if its a personal buckle somne just melted metal onto. please take a look and let me know what you guys and gals think. thanks so much

View attachment 1081989View attachment 1081997View attachment 1081996View attachment 1081995View attachment 1081994View attachment 1081993View attachment 1081992View attachment 1081991View attachment 1081990View attachment 1081999

Upvote 0
Strange looking buckle. To me it looks like someone went crazy with a brazing rod on a regular brass buckle.

Upvote 0
Thats just it. It looks like melted coins almost. some reeded areas and what looks like numbers. i really don't know. its such a mess of a :what is it: i just buffed it somemore and can decern the barrel in the middle is stamped with " NO 25 - M BRO _ _ _ " im assuming maybe its says bronze. but the thing is. this is just the buckle. But its much more then that. so many items metals have been melted onto it. Its not uniform there is def differ metals as iv acid tested and all sorts of things happen. i even soaked it in 1ok acid when i first cleaned it up to get the tru color of the metal. SO what ya see is as of today when i got it it was blacked and dirty. Someone said it could have been a relic buckle that a soldier melted casings onto, but that doesn't make sens to me. but take some good looks at the pic. Any advice as to what to do iv showed my coin guy iv showed my antique people iv had offers to buy it but none worth the loss of such a cool and unusual item.

id have to get the digi out and weigh it. its a couple of oz for sure got some weight to it

Upvote 0
Get a gold testing kit and scrape a little off to test for purity. That sure looks like gold to me.

Upvote 0
yes there is plenty of gold melted onto the breass but also alot of brass melted over the gold its a mix of a mess of metals. any avdice as to what it may be or how to melt the entire things down on my own.? the acid test are pos in parts. so there is def gold in dem dar beckle! thanks guys

Upvote 0
I'm going to guess early 20th C fraternal order sword belt sling buckle that has been in a fire. Similar to the one bellow:

buckle-for-belt-sword-sling-two-lion-heads-gold-25mm-wide-new-r906-833-p.jpg
DCMatt

Upvote 0
welll that sure looks like it could be it. however it does look intelligently made. or melted. as if someone melted material on itself. however that pic gives alot of justice to what this could be it just seems if it was on fire and it looked like it was when i found it. it seemes there are added meltets to it. and it has bubble holes like somne then put it in water. It hards to get a gold postive from the acid becasue its so melted mixed but yes it does read gold at some points. What should i do with it. if not keep it. Im new at collecting and detecting. i would like to find out more and or sell if to fund my future finds. being that i paid next to nothing for a lot containing this beauty. and how would the interpreted wringing on the barrel come into play if it is that pictured buckel> it looks very much like it could be from looking at the buckle for year now under multi x loups and magnifier. I always thought their was some sort of lion componet to it. but again look like inelegant melting done. Im not sure but thats guys any other itedes plese shoot them out to me. thanks

Upvote 0
it was blacked dirty. almost as if it was fired. so dark dirty like it was pulled outa ground clean a but thrown in a box with a bunch of other metal pieces... i just gave it an acid bath a dremel tool cleaning and alot of buffing. never removed any pit or notch it is as it was when it was black. and still i cant figure it out.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back