Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From several hunts at my inlaws farm in northern MN.... See pics for approx sizes.

Found the bell in the middle of a wooded area. Used to be a farmstead, but house has been gone for years and barn is collapsed. Even the road was covered with overgrowth and young trees. I was in the middle of a pile of brambles away from anything even trash when I had a high strong tone on the at pro. Seems to have been held by a leather strap. Nice looking and sounding bell, bit the cracker looks like it was replaced with a square nut. Seems too nice to be a cowbell. Any idea where to find a makers mark?

The receded thing with 6 reeds looks kind of like a harmonica bit in a strange arrangement. Maybe a pitch pipe? Riveting of the reeds seems kind of cheap.

The single reed was found at an old one room school/township hall near the farm. Only thing I found. Not one coin! The riveting of the reed looked nicely done and I suspect brass rivets with kind of a raised knurl. Looked almost like a thumb nail slot at the end. Can't quite picture what the slot was used for.

Finally the round thingy. Made of brass I think. The inside surface has a convex edge to it like something was supposed to slide against it. Maybe some type of loop to hold horse reins?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 96
The big reed might be from an organ?

Upvote 0
After looking at some horse bells online, it looks like that could be the ticket though you can see that whatever leather strap held it may have been doubled back (ie it looked like it was doubled back to attach). I haven't seen one online that was attached that way. No makers mark so it probably isn't a remnant from someone's home? On that particular farm site, I never could find the foundation for the house.

I still need to figure out what kind of instrument used that six reed thing. Really an odd layout for a harmonica so I'm pretty sure that's not it.

The single reed is a bit hard to see in the picture, but the reed is like a harmonica reed where a small metal reed is riveted to a larger piece of metal. Kind of odd that its just a single reed. It was found at a 1 room school house so I kind of wonder if it was a kids toy of some kind, though the construction looks a little nice for a toy.

Thanks for the help every one.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back