29.8 KB · Views: 1,158
  • unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,141
  • unknown 3.jpg
    unknown 3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,149
Gypsy Elf said:
Is that a "hand" on it? Looks like an old rod hanger for a curtain over a door.

No not that I can see. I believe its more flowers and leaves.

Upvote 0
here is a picture of the bottom

Attachments

• unknown 4.jpg
    unknown 4.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,077
Upvote 0
Hmm I thought i had replied to this but it seems to have dissapeared. ??? Well anyhow I beleve it is a decrative piece off of a woodstove.Probably a "Round oak"

Upvote 0
kieser sousa said:
Hmm I thought i had replied to this but it seems to have dissapeared. ??? Well anyhow I beleve it is a decrative piece off of a woodstove.Probably a "Round oak"

quite possible. Here is one of their base burning units that has a similar loop at the top. I can't match it to any of the units listed on this webpage but 2 of them are without pictures. and the artwork is similar to some of the stoves.

http://www.swmich.edu/museum/base_burner.html

Attachments

• 1910_base_burner.jpg
    1910_base_burner.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 954
Upvote 0
Fence finials are mainly wrought iron and a square hole. Seems large for a lamp finial. Then again?

I'm thinking this:

Attachments

• Sp50__07128.jpg
    Sp50__07128.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 889
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I think it is the top piece to a hitching post. Monty

interesting thought. I have a photo of the area from 1910 and there are horses and buggys scattered throughout the picture

Upvote 0
kieser sousa said:

I got a response from a Round Oak "expert" who claims it is not a piece from Round Oak Stove.

Upvote 0
Madmardigan said:
kieser sousa said:

I got a response from a Round Oak "expert" who claims it is not a piece from Round Oak Stove.

Yeah I couldn't find one like it on a round oak but found some similar ones on other "Parlor stoves" The leaf design is what made me think of the round oak.

Upvote 0
Tony,

You may have something there with that tool stand.
I have seen some of the older ones that had a decorative topper like that.

Another idea ...
may be a door handle to an old box type stove.
we have several that are iron and they are all loose.
the reason being the stove itself heats up a handle off to the side can be picked up and used and then put back to the side. Protecting the hands from excess heat.

OD

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back