Beautiful 1863 Indian Head Penny in the most unlikely place

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been heavily searching my yard for the past 4 years, and it has been getting hard to find more than square nails recently. Well, today I dug some sod out from on top of where my septic tank is, as I am going to have it pumped soon. I was inspired to detect the dirt as the whole time I was digging I was pulling out pieces of really old pottery. So I got out my detector, walked over to the first piece of sod swung my detector once and picked up a nice high 60's tone. I stuck my fingers into the clod of dirt and popped this beauty out!

1863 penny just dug.JPG

Here's pictures of where I found it

dig site.jpg

dig site 2.jpg

I haven't searched this part of lawn before because the rebar in the tank nulls out all the signals that are on top of it.
The penny got where it is because a few years ago there was a leach field failure and half of front yard had to be dug up in the process of locating the septic tank.

Here is a picture of the penny after a light toothpicking, I don't think I'm going to do much more to it!!

1863IHP.jpg

Thanks for Reading!
VTColonialDigger

Last edited:
Upvote 40
Great looking IH congrats! :occasion14:

Beautiful coin! Nice find :)
Thank You!

Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!
Thank You very much!

that's a beauty!
Thanks! It certainly is!

Great looking IH congrats! :occasion14:
Thank You! This is one of the oldest indians I've found!

Man that is cool. In your own yard of all places. Nice work!
Thanks, I was not expecting to dig a coin like this, I thought I had found everything in my yard already :laughing7:

Very nice coin!!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice 63' IHP .. Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Nice!! Your first Fatty? Still on my bucket list, I’ve pulled a couple of 65’s but no Fatty Fat Lards. Great save, Ddf,

Congratulations - maybe I should detect by my septic tank.

Too bad my house was built in 1995

Congrats, that is a nice coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back