Beating the Summer Heat for Civil War Goodies

livetoplay804

Apr 25, 2005
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
We just could not take it anymore, we had to go.? Here in SW Missouri, humidity has been horrible so the cool AC, refreshing beverages and Cardinals baseball has been the hobby of choice.? But then one of my hunting partners called and said "Lets go to ___________and find some bullets."? So we packed our lunch bags, grabbed about a case of water, charged up the batteries and away we went for an all day excursion.? We started early in a wooded area finding about 5 or 6 a piece.? Including my find of a carved bullet with some initials barely un-readable (maybe a poker chip).? We hunted for about 3 or 4 hours in that area finding all shot stuff.? My partner is one of these guys who could take his detector to Lowes home improvement stores, open a bag of top soil, swing his detector over it and pull out a treasure, his luck was with him this day as well.? He pulled out a 1902 Indian head in the middle of the woods!

After lunch and a quick cool down from a public building with the water hose attached (best find of the day) we were off to another place.? Upon arrival we noticed some new commercial construction and cringed at what we had missed.? Grass being very tall we new our chances had been greatly reduced.? Then we spotted a little patch about the size of a tennis court with the top soil barely removed. Just about an inch or so.? Perfect only bad thing, wide open sun, but think about what the Civil War boys went through in wool uniforms, so we donned the knee pads, the bandannas, hats and grabbed the Whites.? This little patch prodced 3 or 4 bullets each including two mini balls my partner found sitting right on top of the ground exposed and he also found an infantry button.? We alsoThe button was in bad shape (no doubt a tractor blade had its way with it) but you could see the eagle and the arrows.? I am telling you he would find a silver dime on the moon if you would let him try.? Too bad there was not more ground exposed.? Bad thing was, this was the third building to be erected on this hillside.? We are not going to keep a real close eye on the progress of that hillside.? Good thing about the new buildings was the find of another water hose.?

So after a quick cool down and a little AC, we headed to our third spot of the day.? It was too grown up really but my partner (you know the lucky one) did find a nice 69 caliber drop.?

We abandoned the jungle for another spot that has produced countless finds over the years.? When we got there, the nice utility company had dug up alot of the ground and built a nice new sewer line.? We literally could not get out our tired worn out bodies out of the truck fast enough.? We were not out of the truck 5 min when we started gettting signals that just about knocked our headphones off.? Bullets!? ?Another 3 or 4 each.?

Finally, our arms about to fall off from swinging, out of cold water, hungry, and burnt to a crisp, we headed to the truck.? Yes there have been more profitable days but we had a great time.? No belt plates today but lots of fun.? Should have a couple of chances at Relics of the Month at our detector club meeting next month.? Moral of the story get off the couch and go!? Oh dont forget plenty of bug spray, I am still scratching some spots today.

Good Luck to All
Determined Hunters in SW Missouri

Attachments

• dectingduo.jpg
    dectingduo.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 347
  • site2.jpg
    site2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 350
  • finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0
Hi Guys!!!
Great Finds!!!!

What part of SW Missouri are you Hunting? The Civil war grounds South of Springfield?

I have been hunting around the lake area. I have a place in Hollister/Tablerock lake.
I'm still looking for Jesses caches.

Maybe we will run into one another!

Keep on diggin!!!!!!!!!

We are hunting all over SW Missouri, not that we dont like to share, but our spots are a little too small to spread the news. Notice the blurred background in one of the pics. You could easily tell where the picture was taken before I blurred the background.

Hope you do find the goodies. We have our metal detecting club meeting the third Thursday of each month at the Greene County Library south of Springfield on Campbell. Its a lot of fun. We have a big fun hunt coming up in September. The name of the club is Ozark Mountain Metal Detector Club.

Have a good day.
Chris

Well looking at the pic.....you guys better watch out.
Those grounds keepers dont like you digging in their Golf Courses......... ;D

Here is another pic showing the bullets. This was a picture about halfway through the day.

We stil had more to find.

We are going again this weekend. I will report back next week.

Have a great day!

SW MO Hunter

Attachments

• half way finds.jpg
    half way finds.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 195

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back