beaches around la and santa barbara

All of them. No restrictions. No one ever gets bothered.

The only thing is though, that you need the permit. And lucky for you, I sell them for $100 each (I accept paypal). Also you must send me 20% of all your finds. In exchange, I let you hunt to your heart's contents on my beaches :headbang:

The only thing is though, that you need the permit. And lucky for you, I sell them for $100 each (I accept paypal). Also you must send me 20% of all your finds. In exchange, I let you hunt to your heart's contents on my beaches :headbang:

:laughing7: :laughing7: I'll sell you mine for $50 :icon_thumleft:

:laughing7: :laughing7: I'll sell you mine for $50 :icon_thumleft:

brt6tip, don't be fooled by knock-off cheapo permits. If you get chenty's $50 type, they don't include the special waver that allows you unrestricted access to flirt with the gals in bikini's and also carte-blanche to any federal protected historic monument (Bodie, Shilo, etc...). Thus my permits are superior, and thus more expensive 8-)

brt6tip, don't be fooled by knock-off cheapo permits. If you get chenty's $50 type, they don't include the special waver that allows you unrestricted access to flirt with the gals in bikini's and also carte-blanche to any federal protected historic monument (Bodie, Shilo, etc...). Thus my permits are superior, and thus more expensive 8-)

Hey Tom, I'll take 1.....:occasion14:

I'm pretty sure you need permission on State Park Beaches from the superintendent of that particular park. They will also require you to hand over any item you find with a value of more than $100.00.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you need permission on State Park Beaches from the superintendent of that particular park. They will also require you to hand over any item you find with a value of more than $100.00.

haha, well .... Clayton .... let me give you some information. Sure, a "strict reading" of the State of CA parks dept rules might lead someone to think such a thing . Yet I can tell you for a fact, that you can detect state of CA beaches till your blue in the face, in front of anyone and everyone (save perhaps a single archie in Sacramento somewhere?) and no one will ever care less.

The only reason you read such things as you are citing (as someone might arrive at when reading the FMDAC's state-by-state listing, or a strict reading of the book "Treasure Laws of the United States"), requires an understanding of how such lists, CAME INTO BEING, in the first place. Here's how: Someone asked. Sounds innocent and logical enough, right? That's how those lists came into being, was that people way-back-when (like Doc Grim when he sat down to write that "Treasure Laws" book), simply sends out 50 forms letters, xeroxed off, to each state capitol's head-of-parks person. So whatever deskbound bureaucrat is receiving such an inquiry looks too and fro through his rules and books, and presto, comes up with something about cultural heritage, or harming earthworms, or lost & found laws etc.. Or just takes the simple approach and says "ask at each kiosk" Or simply "no" (without any citation to back that up).

So I put little stock in such lists, unless there is a specific written rule they cite, that actually says such a thing. The state of CA beaches are a perfect example of the psychology I speak of, where you can always find a bureaucrat to give some sort of dire -sounding answer, when ..... reality is often exactly opposite, and no one cares (till you ask).

So when I saw how CA had such verbage as you cite (if you dug deep enough, and long enough, and asked the right bureaucrats with the right combination of buzz-words), it made me wonder how accurate the rest of the states were, on those lists. You know, like if I were to travel, would I read such a list, and think "oh no, I can't detect their state beaches". There is no shortage of md'rs on state of CA beaches, and no, none of them is turning in rings or coins worth over $100, and no, none of them is getting "permission from the superintendent" nor does the superintendent care.

Last edited:
Anything found below the 'mean high tide line' is considered salvage. For all practical purpose, 'mean high tide line' is at the edge of the sand away from the water on sandy beaches and where the cobbles meet the cliffs on the cobble beaches.

I'm not familiar w/ beaches in Santa Barbara, but AAA has a good beach map for sale (used to be $7, laminated nicely, with tips, fees, and regulations listed) that includes L.A. on one side and S.D. on the other.

Anything found below the 'mean high tide line' is considered salvage. For all practical purpose, 'mean high tide line' is at the edge of the sand away from the water on sandy beaches and where the cobbles meet the cliffs on the cobble beaches.

I'm not familiar w/ beaches in Santa Barbara, but AAA has a good beach map for sale (used to be $7, laminated nicely, with tips, fees, and regulations listed) that includes L.A. on one side and S.D. on the other.

Lab rat, if you don't mind my asking, .... what is your point? I mean, your point when you say:

"Anything found below the 'mean high tide line' is considered salvage....."

ok, let's assume that's accurate. Then.... so what? What's the point? I mean, what does that mean, or have to do with hobbyist recreational metal detecting?

I (and reams of other CA hunters) hunt out as far as they can go (fight waves, etc...) all the time. Thus .... what does what you said mean ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back