Beach hunting 2 days in a row.

Siriusz

Greenie
Jan 27, 2024
2 day beach hunt finds. Hit multiple beaches with the first 3 being duds, but the last one was apparently destroyed by the waves and it produced a silver dolphin ring and a rosie along with a fistful of change. Went back to the beaches again the next day, but hit up a different destroyed beach. I found a silver star of david pendant and a silver quarter in around the same zone (Silver likes to hang out with heavy objects after all!). I then hit up the beach I went to yesterday and found several interesting items like a really big copper ring and a mystery coin, along with a bunch of clad coins again. However, it was clear the coin line was retreating back into the ocean, so this might have been my last chance to dig on this particular beach.
The mystery coin that rang up high on my Legend and looks like silver, but it's definitely not a quarter and has weird pokey parts on the edge. Any ideas on what it could be?

Attachments

• beach finds.jpg
    beach finds.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 54
  • mystery coin.jpg
    mystery coin.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
Upvote 8
2 day beach hunt finds. Hit multiple beaches with the first 3 being duds, but the last one was apparently destroyed by the waves and it produced a silver dolphin ring and a rosie along with a fistful of change. Went back to the beaches again the next day, but hit up a different destroyed beach. I found a silver star of david pendant and a silver quarter in around the same zone (Silver likes to hang out with heavy objects after all!). I then hit up the beach I went to yesterday and found several interesting items like a really big copper ring and a mystery coin, along with a bunch of clad coins again. However, it was clear the coin line was retreating back into the ocean, so this might have been my last chance to dig on this particular beach.
The mystery coin that rang up high on my Legend and looks like silver, but it's definitely not a quarter and has weird pokey parts on the edge. Any ideas on what it could be?
It’s looks so interesting! I played with contrast on the pic and it looks like letters around the whole edge. Maybe and international coin?🙂

It’s looks so interesting! I played with contrast on the pic and it looks like letters around the whole edge. Maybe and international coin?🙂
yeah it looks like there's writing on the edge, but it's completely blasted so I can't read it.

" Siriusz "

Keep in mind that they didn't start stamping jewelry with Karat marks until the early 1900s.​

Many times, an unstamped gold ring can be mistaken for a " copper " ring if the ring is old, before 1900. In the ocean for many years, a gold ring will tarnish to that brown color like your ring is. If it was pure 24K gold, it would never tarnish, but a pure 24K gold ring is so soft, it could be squashed between your thumb & forefinger. Therefore the gold is made with alloys such as silver, brass, or pewter (tin) etc., to harden it. It is the alloys that tarnish after many years in the sea. Plus it looks like your ring has a stone in it down at the bottom of your picture. Provide us with an update on what you find out after you check it further. As a suggestion, I think you should polish the inside of the ring first but leave the outside the way it is for now. If it is gold, the polished inside and the tarnished outside provide a nice contrast
and adds to the character & age of your find.
One of our fellow water hunters here, Mike B, found an old wedding band in the waters of N. Y. a few years ago,
and he polished the inside & left the outside alone and the ring looked very cool. You can't duplicate the patina that the sea took many years to develop.
Best wishes, good luck & I hope the stone is the real deal. Congrats on your finds & thanks for posting. Cheers !! J.T.G.

Last edited:
" Siriusz "

Keep in mind that they didn't start stamping jewelry with Karat marks until the early 1900s.​

Many times, an unstamped gold ring can be mistaken for a " copper " ring if the ring is old, before 1900. In the ocean for many years, a gold ring will tarnish to that brown color like your ring is. If it was pure 24K gold, it would never tarnish, but a pure 24K gold ring is so soft, it could be squashed between your thumb & forefinger. Therefore the gold is made with alloys such as silver, brass, or pewter (tin) etc., to harden it. It is the alloys that tarnish after many years in the sea. Plus it looks like your ring has a stone in it down at the bottom of your picture. Provide us with an update on what you find out after you check it further. As a suggestion, I think you should polish the inside of the ring first but leave the outside the way it is for now. If it is gold, the polished inside and the tarnished outside provide a nice contrast
and adds to the character & age of your find.
One of our fellow water hunters here, Mike B, found an old wedding band in the waters of N. Y. a few years ago,
and he polished the inside & left the outside alone and the ring looked very cool. You can't duplicate the patina that the sea took many years to develop.
Best wishes, good luck & I hope the stone is the real deal. Congrats on your finds & thanks for posting. Cheers !! J.T.G.
When I originally found this ring, It was completely filled in with sand and conglomerate, but not as much as the 14k ring I once found on the same beach last year. That ring at the very least still had it's golden look. I also checked the VDI of the ring and it's still ringing up high like a big chunk of copper (44-51) and some parts of the edges are missing revealing a very copper color internally.
Now compared to that bracelet I found at the park recently, that one rang up low conductivity out of the ground around (19-29) so it has a chance of being gold or nickel with a brown patina, however it isn't marked and it's a huge piece of jewelry so also fairly unlikely to be gold. Not everything that glitters is gold after all.
I'm trying to remain realistic with my finds cause I can get too caught up in it and embarrass myself when I fail to properly identify it, and fight with forum members over dumb things like that. Lesson learned.

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 13
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Nice finds and interesting ones, too. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. Good luck on identifying the mystery coin.

Nice finds and interesting ones, too. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. Good luck on identifying the mystery coin.
Now that I think about it, it could be a mystery pendant as the sharp part on the coin could be the broken pendant loop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back