Beach finds... silver and token

Dirty Knees McGee

May 5, 2005
Sunny Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ 6.5x9, 9x12, & EXcelerator 10x14 DD coils
Among the usual clad and trash... I did pretty well today.? I found a nice Italian sterling silver necklace.? Man was that puppy black with tarnish, gonna take a while to clean.?

I also found my first token.? I'll try to get pictures up.? It appears to be a copper plated peice of thinner? metal, not as thick as a penny, about the size of a half dollar.? It is stamped " Good for a 5 cent drink 119 North Street.'? The back is just the impression from the stamping.? Any ideas?? ??? Once I get my digital camera from my wife, I think I'll post it in the "Whats This" forum, since I have no idea about age (maybe pre-prohibition?).

Attachments

• silvernecklace.JPG
    silvernecklace.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 336
Upvote 0
Store/bar token for a free drink!!

cool find!

HH

Lonewolfe

Old token, not many/no drinks $0.05 today. My first good find was a token. Keep it HH!!

Attachments

• happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 352
  • happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 321
well, since I am a newbie and I didn't know about this website when I found these, here are a few other goodies I found a while back.? Aside from the necklace I found and posted today, those two dimes are the only other silver I have found.

1) 1944 Mercury Dime
2) 1956 Dime
3) 1943 Nickel

Attachments

• oldcoins.JPG
    oldcoins.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 322
Welcome BostonMetal. I love that old token and other stuff.

Down in the coin cleaning section of the Forum there's a post about cleaning tokens.

Good hunting!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

You took all the cool old patina off the token when you cleaned it :-\

Rule # 1

NEVER clean an old token, coin, button, etc. with anything other than a light rinsing of water.

It destroys the look of the piece, and lowers the value (especially true if a rare piece).

common pieces that will never be worth anything anyway- it doesn't matter (but) be sure you know what you have 1st "before" doing so.

The token you have is not all that rare/valuable but,

I still wouldn't have cleaned it.

HH and keep us posted with any more finds from that area!

Lonewolfe

I'll take tokens over clad any day. But take lonewolfe's advice. NEVER clean anything that might have value to it before checking it out.

Lonewolfe - I think this is a great piece of advice - I did not know what to do with tarnished wheats I had found - Now I am sure what not to do - I think some (including me) get mixed up at first because they look up stuff on coin sites for rarity value face it they go hand in hand - and those coins are usually mint non circ. - not like the patina'd items we dig out of mother earth - anyways .........
Rusty Nails

Nice finds Bostonmetal! I wouldn't clean those dimes either - keep em the way you found em. The only time I even consider trying to clean a found coin is if I can't read the date. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back